Ordered BlackBear Tuning AutoCal, have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sangster

Sangster

Reaction score
funny (not really) story.....AutoCal arrived Saturday. I immediately went for a drive to get my datalogs recorded. Made a bunch of pulls from idle up to redline and even some up to the speed limiter (105ish). Was driving down a long straight road with it pegged to the speed limiter and guess what comes over the hill headed passed me in the opposite direction? Yep...Mr Po Po county cop. My stomach dropped as I was sure I was about to spend the night in a jail cell. As I went passed him, i see his face watching his laptop or whatever down on his console. He never even looked at me and just kept on keeping on his way. Like any normal regretful person, I slowed to an appropriate speed.....until I came up on some traffic in front of me. An F150 pulling a boat, doing the speed limit. The first chance I had, I punched it to pass him. As I got next to the boat (this is a 2 lane road with a 55 mph limit), sure enough....cherries and berries in his back window. It was a damn Lake County Sheriff truck pulling their Lake County Sheriff boat. Saw me coming, as soon as i went to pass him, he turned on his lights to tell me to stop being stupid! I backed off really quick, gave him a very apologetic "I'm an idiot" wave and settled in way behind him. At my turn, he went straight. I stayed strict to the speed limit the rest of the way home.

All was recorded on the datalog, haha!

Moral of the story....don't drive dumb. There are cops out there.

OP
OP
Sangster

Sangster

Reaction score
How long did it take for everyone else to get their tune file? They added me to their "To Do" list on 1/6 and I still haven't received it. Guess they are backed up a bit. No big deal, I'd rather it be right than rushed.

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
So i have a few questions about this program/tune. What all can it do? Tuning wise....i have an 08 yukon denali AWD 6.2L L92 i had it sitting for a while because of some issues but i ended up fixing them and while i had it down to a short block i decided to throw in a BTR stage 2 truck cam and a VVT delete kit, high flow oil pump, Summit Head studs, long tube headers, all new gaskets and a K&N cold air filter, ls3 valve springs and new lifters. Had it put together and somewhat idleing......took it to a local non-professional tuner, guy got HP tuner and was doing it out if an old beat up barn, but he had tuned several cars and was recommended to me by my cousin who had is cammed chevy SS by him. Long story short...guy fried my ECU and i still had to pay him....now im in the process of getting a new ECU......my question is hiw do i tune my truck? No local tuners where i live...not any that i know of ive searched. So can this program help me tune my truck?

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did it take for everyone else to get their tune file? They added me to their "To Do" list on 1/6 and I still haven't received it. Guess they are backed up a bit. No big deal, I'd rather it be right than rushed.

I got added to the list Monday and have been refreshing my email constantly since then. Guess I can pump the brakes on that one...

I bet black bear will respond here soon with an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sangster

Sangster

Reaction score
So i have a few questions about this program/tune. What all can it do? Tuning wise....i have an 08 yukon denali AWD 6.2L L92 i had it sitting for a while because of some issues but i ended up fixing them and while i had it down to a short block i decided to throw in a BTR stage 2 truck cam and a VVT delete kit, high flow oil pump, Summit Head studs, long tube headers, all new gaskets and a K&N cold air filter, ls3 valve springs and new lifters. Had it put together and somewhat idleing......took it to a local non-professional tuner, guy got HP tuner and was doing it out if an old beat up barn, but he had tuned several cars and was recommended to me by my cousin who had is cammed chevy SS by him. Long story short...guy fried my ECU and i still had to pay him....now im in the process of getting a new ECU......my question is hiw do i tune my truck? No local tuners where i live...not any that i know of ive searched. So can this program help me tune my truck?

I think you need to have a running truck to use this form of Blackbear tuning. You have to use the handheld to datalog driving around for 15-30 minutes and then email them the datalog file. Once they receive the file from you, you get added to their to-do list and based on your datalog, they create the tuning file and then email it back to you. You then have to move it from your email (PC) to the handheld tuner and then use that to load it to the vehicle. I'm not sure how they would tune it without a datalog file, unless they were able to tune it in person.

Are any of the big name GM tuners nearby where you live?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the ecu will have to be programmed to your truck, you will need a tech2 to do that or take it to the dealer.
as far as the tune you can tell black bear what you have done and they can provide you with a tune that should be good enough to get the log files they need then once you have sent the files to them they will build the tune and email it back to you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Just got my tune from Justin. Good thing I brought the laptop to work today! Going to load it and see how it feels on the way home from work.

It'll get better with time too! Enjoy man!

You run that truck at Orlando Speedway right? Be cool to see some before and after timeslips.

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
the ecu will have to be programmed to your truck, you will need a tech2 to do that or take it to the dealer.
as far as the tune you can tell black bear what you have done and they can provide you with a tune that should be good enough to get the log files they need then once you have sent the files to them they will build the tune and email it back to you.
So the ECU i get to replace the one the guy fried will need to be taken to the dealer?.....what was that other option? Im not familiar with that.
As far as the tune that sounds like a plan! Do you guys have good experiences with them?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the ECU i get to replace the one the guy fried will need to be taken to the dealer?.....what was that other option? Im not familiar with that.
As far as the tune that sounds like a plan! Do you guys have good experiences with them?
any time you replace the ecu, bcm, tcm, fpcm, etc it has to be programmed to the vehicle
a black bear tune takes about a week to get via email if you buy the autocal, you can buy the autocal and tune from them or send them your ecu.
all the information is on there website, I was going to link it but there website host is having technical difficulties at the moment
Attention valued customers, our website is temporarily down, but we are still here!

Our hosting provider has had server problems for 24 hours now, but assure us it will be back up and running soon.

If you have any questions you can reach us at 877-809-4070, or email us, [email protected].

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71