Ordered a direct fit 8" android deck NOW INSTALLED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which unit do you have? do you have RSE with it?

Mine is a eonon ga6180f, the original px3 chip(quad core, 1mb ram, android 5.1) has been swapped for the px5 (Octo core, 2mb ram, android 6.0)
On phone but here is what I replied to on another post:

the head unit is PnP for 07-11, it comes with a canbus decoder and the female end for the factory harnesses. My 2012 uses different wiring and I had to cut the provided ends off and match it up to different PAC adapters for my application. Steeringwheelcontrols are retained/ programmable for one touch and hold for different function. still have seatbelt, door, key in ignition chimes all works. the decoder also breaks out NAV needed signals- reverse, vss, parking brake. I have to use the bluetoothadapter on the obd2 port to view torque. with the provided harness canbus may have been directed to the head unit and have been able to grab info needed with out the bluetoothadapter
the RSE *on mine* i think i may have messed something up - currently it is always displaying what is on the head unit. This could be due to a few reasons. I didnt really mess with the stock headunit/rse so i dont know how it was supposed to function - obviously the rear dvd displays on the rear screen and audio is directed to the head unit. i dont know if it was able to play dvd at headunit displayed on rear screen. in either case, i grabbed a PAC adapter to add additional video source so that i could play dvd from head unit, displayed on rear screen. I havent really been able to find any way to switch sources or even just have a blank screen in the rear

Mine had factory:
-NAV , android head unit came with adapter to existing antenna, did not work for me.
-Bose , retained works fine, all functions work except front/rear fade, have some eq function now sounds a little better
-Bluetooth phone , "over lays" radio, by design radio should mute when phone call comes in - i think i wired something wrong because phonecalls would turn off head unit, to fix i just stopped using the factory bluetooth
-Onstar , never used not sure what functions are retained without factory head unit/gps they can probably not locate me
-RSE , to add to the above, not trying to use head unit as input all should work as intended

Justin Hawkins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've often thought about doing this. I'm interested to see your follow-up.

Quick questions:
1. I have the DVD with Entertainment Package (rear screen). Does installing this negate that or am I still able to use that screen for my kids?
2. Do I need to install an external GPS antenna to use the GPS maps or will my existing GPS antenna work?
3. Do I need to install a SIM card to access the internet?

Seems like I could easily sell my factory system for a few hundred to recoup the cost of the upgrade.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in the rear screen as well, and use of the headphones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've often thought about doing this. I'm interested to see your follow-up.

Quick questions:
1. I have the DVD with Entertainment Package (rear screen). Does installing this negate that or am I still able to use that screen for my kids?
2. Do I need to install an external GPS antenna to use the GPS maps or will my existing GPS antenna work?
3. Do I need to install a SIM card to access the internet?

Seems like I could easily sell my factory system for a few hundred to recoup the cost of the upgrade.

- the RSE is a pretty independent system, given the wiring that needed to be connected to the head unit (just a set of audio inputs) it should still work as intended from my understanding. the head phones connect directly to the screen iirc , i dont have head phones
- the existing antenna uses a odd connector, if you can find the correct adapter you can use it, i think i bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CWJ57BS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but never installed as it took a few weeks iirc and i just threw the new one into the dash and it has worked fine
- I hotspot from my phone and connect the headunit via wifi to access internet, the model i have i think requires a 3g/4g dongle to use a sim card (many units now won't need)

I think i'm going to end up swapping the android unit for one another user has tried that doesnt have a dvd slot but a larger screen, updated hardware and try to correct the wiring issues i have - mostly would like to have the canbus talk directly to the android head unit and switchable output to the rear screen. I have to start looking for the pinout diagram for the 44pin harness for 2012+ though

Randy

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
- the RSE is a pretty independent system, given the wiring that needed to be connected to the head unit (just a set of audio inputs) it should still work as intended from my understanding. the head phones connect directly to the screen iirc , i dont have head phones
- the existing antenna uses a odd connector, if you can find the correct adapter you can use it, i think i bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CWJ57BS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but never installed as it took a few weeks iirc and i just threw the new one into the dash and it has worked fine
- I hotspot from my phone and connect the headunit via wifi to access internet, the model i have i think requires a 3g/4g dongle to use a sim card (many units now won't need)

I think i'm going to end up swapping the android unit for one another user has tried that doesnt have a dvd slot but a larger screen, updated hardware and try to correct the wiring issues i have - mostly would like to have the canbus talk directly to the android head unit and switchable output to the rear screen. I have to start looking for the pinout diagram for the 44pin harness for 2012+ though

Randy
What year is yours? Keep me updated on what you get... i have a 13 hoe and want something factory fully functional pnp but im being cheap and these things look good and fit the bill

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012, I haven't seen any that are pnp for it. If you don't have factory nav , there's a chance you still have the other plugs

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe has the RSE and the factory Bose system with amp and sub and it all needs the factory head unit to work or some sort of interface for it to work and I have an Atoto A6 Android head unit in it and with a PAC RP5-GM11 and it got my RSE, OnnStar, and Steering Wheel Controls and everything else working properly with the aftermarket android head unit. Im not sure what the newer model Thaoes and stuff have but maybe you need some sort of interface to retain all that stuff.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick up date call quality on the other end is bad I added an external mic but that didn't help. I have seen other units like these have unshielded wires to the in deck mic and when you add an external it doesn't disable the internal one. I'm going to mess with some settings and see if I can turn it off. Maybe rooting it can turn it off

I don't make to many calls in this car its not enough for me to want to spend 300 more on a decent android auto unit which I feel doesn't do as much as this does

Any further updates on this unit? Is there a usb on the front of the hu, or is it only on the back?

OP
OP
K

Kyle Pezzetti

Reaction score
Any further updates on this unit? Is there a usb on the front of the hu, or is it only on the back?

Still going well other than the call quality. I run a dedicated mifi if the car its up and running and on the WiFi in about 45sec to a min.

All the USB ports are cables on the back. I got a male USB a to female mini USB and it now works for the one in the center console the rest I ran into the glove box so I can play in there if needed. It does not have a micro SD slot

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Nice work on migrating all the info into this thread. Just when you find a work around to getting all your features and options up and working, new technologies seem to appear out of nowhere to try and obsolete you.

I had a 2017 Dodge Charger R/T as a rental earlier this year with a factory CarPlay installed. Damn nice unit that is endlessly updatable through software. It had a hardwired input/charger that fully integrated it into using Google’s maps as the Navi system.

I’m a big fan of the independent operating system the future proofs itself through software updates. We recently gave AT&T the finger after a decade of loyalty. They did a double bait and switch on a bogo promo. We kept the two iPhone 6s they gifted us. They locked them out of all cell networks and an Apple store graciously exchanged them for $25 on the 6s battery depletion software campaign.

Apple kindly stated that the AT&T replacement phones were unlocked. Inserting an AT&T SIM card is what ties and locks them to their network. We now run prepaid or monthly generic “Mint Sim” (T Mobile wholesalers) cards in them. Purchased on sale, service is $14 Mo unlimited text/call and 10 gigs data.

Oh yea, Apple also unlocked the two new replacement 6s phones so they’re configured to run any carrier. They also updated my wife’s phone to a 128 gig for free. Love those techies at Apple. Once your iPhone is unlocked you can enable the WiFi hotspot feature without AT&T’s mandatory plan and imposed fees.

Sorry for the rambling here. I’m with relatives and looking at my phone to stay out of the conversation .. lol

Oh yea, on future proofing, via software. We cut the cord w/ direct tv too. We took our kids old Sony PS3 consoles and use them as cable TV boxes. Sony has their own TV service for $40 mo. They make combo Bluetooth / IR remotes that control the tv and PS3. All the DVR features are in the cloud and available seamlessly on phones and PC.

Ok, the talkative relatives finally left. Enjoy my off topic ramblings and thank you to this forum for keeping me out of their off topic political rants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne