orderd 4.30 gears!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how'd it go? Mpg increase or decrease? Stay about the same? How much easier did it maintain speed?

OP
OP
slocaddy

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage didn't really change, rpms cruising 70 were up about 150/200 higher than 3.73, it really wasn't the huge change I thought it was going to be , but it absolutely pulled the trailer better on interstate, maintained speed much better (no down shifting going over overpasses

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage didn't really change, rpms cruising 70 were up about 150/200 higher than 3.73, it really wasn't the huge change I thought it was going to be , but it absolutely pulled the trailer better on interstate, maintained speed much better (no down shifting going over overpasses

That's all I'm hoping for. I'm not trying to build a race Tahoe. Trying to build it better for cruising and pulling. I'm thinking 4.30 with 285s and a lq4 are the ticket.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had 4.10s in my last vehicle and for off road use that low is great i could drive straight up the everest with that gear ratio
but it guzzled gas 15 city and 19 highway

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had 4.10s in my last vehicle and for off road use that low is great i could drive straight up the everest with that gear ratio
but it guzzled gas 15 city and 19 highway

What was the vehicle? If was a Tahoe that's great mpg I think. That's what mine got with 265 street tires and with the 285s it hasn't changed enough to notice.

slocaddy, I was thinking maybe the reason your gears wasn't such a big change is most go from 3.42 to 4.30. You went from 3.73 like I am to 4.30. I'm just wanting it to pull down the highway with ease. Not struggling to maintain 75.

OP
OP
slocaddy

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the vehicle? If was a Tahoe that's great mpg I think. That's what mine got with 265 street tires and with the 285s it hasn't changed enough to notice.

slocaddy, I was thinking maybe the reason your gears wasn't such a big change is most go from 3.42 to 4.30. You went from 3.73 like I am to 4.30. I'm just wanting it to pull down the highway with ease. Not struggling to maintain 75.

OP
OP
slocaddy

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you will be happy with the 4.30's for sure, let me know what you think when you make the change

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score

believe it or not it was a 2008 ford ranger fx4 4 liter v6 4.10 gears was part of the fx4 package it was great offroad and towing but daily drving it chugged gas