Opinions - Tahoe worth sticking money into or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking for a while if it would be worth keeping my OBS Tahoe as my DD and work horse. As far as putting a new motor/tranny in thats no big deal, but keeping up on the interior, keeping the carpet nice or replacing it, the seats I may upgrade if I keep it, and the body is in decent shape, however:
- the rear drivers door is rusting out, either patch or replace
- all the weather sealing needs to be replaced to keep the cab quieter
- rusting in the wheel wells, some metal missing
- underbody has some rust, but is really decent for a Wisconsin truck

The truck has 226K miles on it.

I'm not a big fan of the NBS, prefer the NNBS, but debating on cost and longevity... I'd go either Tahoe or 'Burb

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking for a while if it would be worth keeping my OBS Tahoe as my DD and work horse. As far as putting a new motor/tranny in thats no big deal, but keeping up on the interior, keeping the carpet nice or replacing it, the seats I may upgrade if I keep it, and the body is in decent shape, however:
- the rear drivers door is rusting out, either patch or replace
- all the weather sealing needs to be replaced to keep the cab quieter
- rusting in the wheel wells, some metal missing
- underbody has some rust, but is really decent for a Wisconsin truck

The truck has 226K miles on it.

I'm not a big fan of the NBS, prefer the NNBS, but debating on cost and longevity... I'd go either Tahoe or 'Burb

If your truck runs good and you keep up on the maintenance I'd say keep it, I'm at 251k on mine, the door you can prolly get a solid one at a junkyard might need to get it painted, the weather stripping is easy to do I've replaced all of mine, wheel wells patch sand and paint or underneath, and the same with the frame wire brush and rustoleum or whatever you prefer

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like said keep up your maintenance, a little junk yard run for the door, some seals, im sure you can find someone to make up up some wheel wells cheap.(or you do it) i would osfo (rust converter) the underside and then spray it with por15. that should last you a long time. interior is pretty cheap. seat recover would cost with materials around 1k for leather(at least thats what ive found) sem paint makes the color you need to touch up your interior plastics. i got my carpet for less than 200$ brand new in black. Its all about how much work you can do yourself. crate motor will cost around 2k to your door from jegs. I plan on keeping my truck for a long time

OP
OP
JubjubW

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, looking at something in my price range its just nuts... Maybe I'm just a penny pincher, but I don't want, or don't feel comfortable spending over 10K on a different vehicle right now to add payments to my monthly bills, and anything in that price range is already 150K plus in miles and not worth it IMO.

What I was thinking is I have a cloth interior and I would like to upgrade to a leather interior from a newer body style with some added features like powering the passenger seat and adding heat to them both. I would also like to put on some heated towing mirrors so I can see more. A lot of these things are vanity type items but I would feel like I'm driving something new. I'd like to upgrade the dash and stuff too, if possible, and the center console.

As far as motor, I was thinking 383 with a 4L80E when the time comes. She is used for towing quite frequently and some off road use for logging, so I was debating a body or suspension lift depending. Ah well. Any advice from people that have done the things mentioned above would be greatly appreciated.

Edit

In addition I was considering a 5.3 or 6.0 too depending on cost. And I need to double check which axles I got to decide whether replace or rebuild

Last edited:

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
If you get another truck keep the old one for a good toy to go mudding with. But it doesnt sound too bad. You can do custom seats from katskinz and you can get a carpet mold you just have to cut the holes in it yourself. Cheap as hell tho and worth it. Keep an old truck anyday. They just made em right back then. I see more OBS trucks on the road than any other style

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Keep it if u get a new one keep it like a k5 and take it and see how much abuse it can take and fix it and hell screw around, flip it, burnouts, pull drivetrain and sell when body is toast

OP
OP
JubjubW

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! Even if I did get something new and kept this as a toy, I definitely could not beat the crap outta it. It was a gift xD

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming the body is still solid.....Keep it. Plug some money into it and keep rocking it!! :waytogo:

OP
OP
JubjubW

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, I did some research as far as auto loans go, cost of a new vehicle, and so on and the amount of "damaged" body I have can be repaired or replaced easily. Maybe when I'm outta college and in a stable career rather than just my 3-11 job I'll upgrade... for now I'm gonna make this 'hoe more 'custom' xD

so mods, you can lock this thread if you want, Imma go do some research on the forums and post questions if I can't find information, thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instigator01

Latest posts