OnStar - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hi all. I bought a ‘21 Yukon SLT a month ago - and so far so good, really liking it at 550 miles. This is my first gmc product in over 30 years, so I’m not up to speed with Onstar and if its worth a monthly fee. Curious if anyone feels any of the Onstar functions are “can’t live without”. The recent Fords that I’ve owned had several of the Onstar features free of charge - so I’m struggling to now pay for things like remote start etc. Thanks for any points-of-view.

Craignor

Reaction score
The Onstar service is a “can’t live without” feature, literally IMHO. A no brainer.

If I am out and have a medical emergency, pass out and crash, or slide on the ice, or have a blowout, or fall asleep and go off the road out of sight of any other motorists, even if I am unconscious, the Onstar service alerts EMTs and gives them my location and sends help.

Automatic Crash Response

Using built-in vehicle sensors, Automatic Crash Response* can connect a specially trained OnStar Advisor who is connected into your vehicle to offer help if you’ve been involved in a crash. You’ll get help — even if you can’t ask for it. Advisors can notify first responders about your location and the likelihood of serious injuries using Injury Severity Prediction.

You hear of people being found days after they went missing and how they suffered. Onstar can prevent that.

Last edited:

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am out and have a medical emergency, pass out and crash, or slide on the ice, or have a blowout, or fall asleep and go off the road out of sight of any other motorists, even if I am unconscious, ....

LOL Or if a meteor hits you, or if the Space Station falls on you...
The one and only time I could have used it was when I broke down in the middle of WV. Hit the button. Got something like "Not in service area"...it wouldn't connect. Canceled it the day I got it back home!!!

Last edited:

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a limited package so I can use the app to remote start my vehicle as well as the locator service, ti's about $11.95 a month. It is mainly used in the winter time for me,

mickeyfickymix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Everyone is going to have different opinions. Their safety feature is nice like another poster mentioned, for a number of reasons, but everyone has different wants and needs. We are covered with Geico roadside and its by far cheaper over a year vs onstar. I also refuse to pay to have the ability to use an app. We do however subscribe to the 4G LTE in car wifi unlimited through AT&T. Thats definitely a nice feature for our family.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what they do these days. With so many features on today’s phones I don’t use mine but I use remote start a lot. As mentioned above different folks will have different opinions. See how much you use it while it’s free, then decide.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL Or if a meteor hits you, or if the Space Station falls on you...
The one and only time I could have used it was when I broke down in the middle of WV. Hit the button. Got something like "Not in service area"...it wouldn't connect. Canceled it the day I got it back home!!!
I have it in my Yukon and the diagnostics & remote features accessible thru my iPhone are pretty slick. There's a feature now where if you get the "not in service message" there's a number you can call to inform them of your situation. But I would think that since the OnStar system works on a cellular frequency if it doesn't work then your cell phone probably won't work either. But if you just happen to breakdown next to a payphone, you remember those (seen one lately?), you're in luck! Or maybe Bubby J will let you use his hardwired phone, which is in the back...so be careful...he thinks you're cute! LOL!! Seriously, if you can afford it, IMHO, it's worth having. Aloha!

P.S. Over here Bubby J is commonly known as "Junior Boy" or "Kimo". Same mindset just different locale.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may not have on-star service, but on-star is always able to be connected no matter where you are. So, if you get lost, I believe they can still track the vehicle without your monthly fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs