OnStar - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the points-of-view. I’ve got another week or two with the free 30 days - you’ve given me a few things to evaluate with the onstar options.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
star is always able to be connected no matter where you are. So, if you get lost, I believe they can still track the vehicle without your monthly fee.

they can, it’ll just cost you before they help.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may not have on-star service, but on-star is always able to be connected no matter where you are. So, if you get lost, I believe they can still track the vehicle without your monthly fee.

Funny. I wonder how they can track you when you can't connect to them!?!?!? Didn't work for me in WV when I hit the button! If contemplating signing up, reevaluate just where you might be needing it. I got it for ski trips in WV but it lost connectivity once off the main highway. I canceled it. Oh, cell phones don't work there either unless in a main city (which there are few).

Thunder22

Reaction score
I never had it on my vehicles because I have my cell phone with me 24x7, and if i'm dead, well, i'm sure the first responders will call my family :) That being said, my mother will be driving the truck on occasion, so I'm considering getting it, but then realize that chevy roadside is probably sufficient and that's free.

KOTAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi all. I bought a ‘21 Yukon SLT a month ago - and so far so good, really liking it at 550 miles. This is my first gmc product in over 30 years, so I’m not up to speed with Onstar and if its worth a monthly fee. Curious if anyone feels any of the Onstar functions are “can’t live without”. The recent Fords that I’ve owned had several of the Onstar features free of charge - so I’m struggling to now pay for things like remote start etc. Thanks for any points-of-view.
Welcome aboard and don't forget your wallet. No seriously welcome...

Brix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Onstar is rolling out auto insurance. If you are a current subscriber insurance rates are supposed to be heavily discounted.

George R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OnStar has gotten better over the years. It comes in handy for vehicle location & remote functions such as lock/unlock etc.. plus it’s always good to have assistance at the push of a button. I believe they now offer a App that works basically the same. Minus the remote features.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny. I wonder how they can track you when you can't connect to them!?!?!? Didn't work for me in WV when I hit the button! If contemplating signing up, reevaluate just where you might be needing it. I got it for ski trips in WV but it lost connectivity once off the main highway. I canceled it. Oh, cell phones don't work there either unless in a main city (which there are few).

I believe you can always contact them. Press the onstar button to call them just to ask the status of your system. Green light on = you have service, green light off = no service. But I believe the system will still connect.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a free year and that seemed to worth it until I think back and we never had the occasion to use it. The built in cell service stunk but that was in 2008. We didn't see any value to reup after the first year. With cell phone in hand, what's the point?
Could make the same argument with the built in and free year of satellite radio. After the free year an offer comes for an obscene amount of money. When we ignored the offer, it dropped to about a quarter of the first offer in about a month. Kind of like gym memberships; both a racket.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... green light off = no service. But I believe the system will still connect.

Guess I'm just old & confused! If it has "no service" just how can "But I believe the system will still connect".
One & only time I used/needed OnStar = it DIDN'T WORK! Canceled it.
SiriusXM is $13/month...but I only listened to ONE channel. Canceled it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n