Ok, who has dropped the tranny pan? How many curse words were dropped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel6point6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What an engineering fail! The drain bolt was stripped so I figured not knowing if the filter has ever been changed I'd do it while I was under there. In my Dmax it's a 30 minute job so I figured this would be similar. Nope. I fought with this damn pan all freaking day long and took many unwanted fluid baths. Those who have done it may know what I'm talking about but the pan doesn't clear the shift cable so it can't just drop straight down like planned. I finally got it by using some channel locks to bend the cable bracket just enough for it to clear. But many four letter words were used, and a few breaks were needed to cool down before I sent a tool flying. Never again will that tranny pan be dropped.

My rant is over. Just wanted to hopefully feel better and know I'm not the only one who experienced this nightmare

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
What an engineering fail! The drain bolt was stripped so I figured not knowing if the filter has ever been changed I'd do it while I was under there. In my Dmax it's a 30 minute job so I figured this would be similar. Nope. I fought with this damn pan all freaking day long and took many unwanted fluid baths. Those who have done it may know what I'm talking about but the pan doesn't clear the shift cable so it can't just drop straight down like planned. I finally got it by using some channel locks to bend the cable bracket just enough for it to clear. But many four letter words were used, and a few breaks were needed to cool down before I sent a tool flying. Never again will that tranny pan be dropped.

My rant is over. Just wanted to hopefully feel better and know I'm not the only one who experienced this nightmare

My ‘07 wasn’t too bad. Just needed to pry the exhaust out of the way..

And I sucked most of the fluid out prior to dropping the pan via the dipstick. Worked well!

Attachments

• D97E11F4-81F9-4BB8-9000-273D71614E77.jpeg
    D97E11F4-81F9-4BB8-9000-273D71614E77.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 9

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as I would have to do this job on my back and deal with salt problems I am sure, is the reason I pay the $150 bucks or whatever to have my fluid & filter replaced every 40,000 miles. & if the transmission ever dies again the good service history will get me a discount on another haha

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine done fearing a mess in the driveway and my cursing was when I got it home and it had a severe leak. So back it went and got a new gasket and another 4 quarts of new fluid. So in the end it was a 9 quart service so mostly new fluid for just a pan drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10