Venting - me, not the Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KVacek

Reaction score
Bought our 2005 Yukon Denali XL in January 2008 as an off-lease vehicle. Noticed the oil cooler lines were weeping and had them give me a set with the deal. FInally got around to changing them yesterday - yes, 14 years later.

I've done this job with a 4WD 93 Suburban and had NO IDEA what an ordeal I was in for on this vehicle. Changed rear coolant and AC lines on this, the old Suburban, and evern a (pardon my swearing) Caravan, some more than once. Not that bad to do.

But this Yukon... So many places where they put things together on a stand and then drop the whole engine into the vehicle and have unskilled workers snap things together. Things that are SO much fun to find, let alone get to to work on.

I see many people actually drop the front differential to do this job. I have the driveshaft disconnected now and think with the radiator out I can get those LOOOONG front hard lines clear and get it all out the rear. But this is just inexcusable. So little is made to be serviced. One-way plastic fasteners all over, hose retainers that just don't come undone without breaking things, fighting quick-connect fittings that make assembly quick but disassembly really tough.

Grrrr - been working on all of my cars, motorcycles, airplanes, and lawn equipment since the early 60's, but I just hate this job.

Rant off. I apologize to anyone who actually read this.
;-)

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, in their defense... The original design did last 17-18 years. I know that doesn't help -- it is NOT meant to troll you. I was hoping to give some perspective: "Yep, it's a PITA, but you only have to do it every 15 years." I don't know if that helps, either, but I tried.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Curious

I did my trans cooler lines a couple years ago. Can't say I had any real complaints with difficulty. They just sorta.... Pulled out. Jack it up, pop the grille of, pop off all the clips, take off the hangar, and just drag 'em through. I replaced the quick connectors at that time too.

I think my biggest complaint on this vehicle with respect to care and feeding is replacing burnt out interior control bulbs. Like, steering wheel lights and such.

Pretty much anything under the hood, I've found, is SUPER easy compared to like... Any other vehicle on the road.

Sorry to hear it gave ya such trouble! But hey, now you're good to go until 2035 before you need to think about it again :)

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't blame this on unskilled workers the company (GM) makes these parts for fast assembly and workers do what company wants. We have vehicles lasting years and 200000 ,300000 miles. Get service manual (Helms) for your year truck will help complete these tasks good luck.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to have a 1931 Model A Ford.
At the time that Ford was made, it was expected that many owners would need to make their own repairs on the side of a desolate road; and be able to do that with a couple of common wrenches, a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a jack.

I don't think any auto manufacturer designs anything with the intent of making it easy for DIY repairs. Now days, it seems they have gone out of their way to make it difficult or impossible. Proprietary tools are required for certain procedures an so many vehicles now.

Even though GM did some of that at the time our rigs came off the assembly line, we still got in on something that was still relatively easy to work on. As @SnowDrifter mentioned, ours are a lot simpler to work on than many others.

"Modern" vehicles are constructed so that you need to go to a dealer to do almost anything. Some won't even tell you what specific code is tripping a CEL without having to get a dealer to read it (and probably fix it, too).

I count my blessings every day with my 04 Tahoe! I am sure I'll have my moments of pain and frustration, but my odds of being able to still complete a repair with success are still pretty good. I would even attempt anything other than brake pads and rotors on my wife's 2019 Honda CRV!

On that Model A... I did a distributor rebuild on the side of the mountain in VT and swapped out water pump on the road to Mystic, CT.

OP
OP
KVacek

KVacek

Reaction score
Curious

I did my trans cooler lines a couple years ago. Can't say I had any real complaints with difficulty. They just sorta.... Pulled out. Jack it up, pop the grille of, pop off all the clips, take off the hangar, and just drag 'em through. I replaced the quick connectors at that time too.

I think my biggest complaint on this vehicle with respect to care and feeding is replacing burnt out interior control bulbs. Like, steering wheel lights and such.

Pretty much anything under the hood, I've found, is SUPER easy compared to like... Any other vehicle on the road.

Sorry to hear it gave ya such trouble! But hey, now you're good to go until 2035 before you need to think about it again :)
These are oil cooler lines. Other side of the engine and heavier. Routed right over the front diff.

I eventually worked the old ones out the back and the new ones, probably helped by being more flexible and also the fact that I'd just pulled the old ones and knew it was possible, went in pretty easily.

OP
OP
KVacek

KVacek

Reaction score
I wouldn't blame this on unskilled workers the company (GM) makes these parts for fast assembly and workers do what company wants. We have vehicles lasting years and 200000 ,300000 miles. Get service manual (Helms) for your year truck will help complete these tasks good luck.
First vehicle where I haven't bought the factory manual. Unobtanium now.

But the quick assembly comes at the cost of some real PIA disassembly jobs. I'm an old guy and have turned wrenches since the early 60's actually longer with go-karts and lawn mowers. I understand efficient assembly but somebody eventually has to fix it and threaded fasteners work easier and mostly can be reused. Kinda hard to replace some weird plastic doo-dad that goes in with a Christmas tree fastener that breaks off unless a dealer has it or willl order it and you don't mind waiting and paying big $$ for a little piece of plastic.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay still has service manuals (Helms) in some auctions for 2008. If you take plastic fasteners to your local parts house, they will be able to match up at most part houses a lot cheaper and in stock. Take your time if you have turned wrench's you'll do just fine good luck.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First vehicle where I haven't bought the factory manual. Unobtanium now.

But the quick assembly comes at the cost of some real PIA disassembly jobs. I'm an old guy and have turned wrenches since the early 60's actually longer with go-karts and lawn mowers. I understand efficient assembly but somebody eventually has to fix it and threaded fasteners work easier and mostly can be reused. Kinda hard to replace some weird plastic doo-dad that goes in with a Christmas tree fastener that breaks off unless a dealer has it or willl order it and you don't mind waiting and paying big $$ for a little piece of plastic.
You can have access to the service manuals with a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com for about $30 a year iirc.

As far as replacing those lines, the front diff can be unbolted and let hang/droop for easier access. It’s just 4 fairly large bolts, 2 on each side. This also makes it possible to remove the oil pan without removing the whole front diff. The quick connect clips-pull the plastic cover back and use a small hook tool to remove them. It’s easy, and if one or two bounce away like they usually do, there’s assortments of generic ones available at any auto parts store in the Dorman “help” section. I suggest buying these first. When installing, put the clip into the fitting first and then just push the oil line into the fitting until it clicks into place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe