Ok, new tires and wheels. Exhaust next

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, I need some input on a muffler for this rig. I don't want real loud, I am 66 after all. I want a throaty sound and want help with performance at the same time, if possible. While I may just go with the muffler and new single exhaust out back, I am open to recommendations to dual outlet and where they should exit. I am also open to recommendations from the cats back. Thanks in advance.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Gibson Extreme cat back dual exhaust system, that I really like, but I believe that it would be too loud for you.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need some input on a muffler for this rig. I don't want real loud, I am 66 after all. I want a throaty sound and want help with performance at the same time, if possible. While I may just go with the muffler and new single exhaust out back, I am open to recommendations to dual outlet and where they should exit. I am also open to recommendations from the cats back. Thanks in advance.

A little more sound than stock: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Exhaust-Products-XS2589-Muffler/dp/B004A5OBWE

And a little more sound than that: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Exhaust-P...ust+xs1259&qid=1569644216&s=automotive&sr=1-1

I have the XS1259. Inside the cabin, you can hear it whenever the engine is under load (accelerating, maintaining speed up incline, etc.) but can barely hear it when cruising at a steady speed. I'd imagine the XS2589 to be almost inaudible inside. I just replaced my stock muffler with it and a piece of pipe to make up the difference in length. Stock exit location with resonator deleted. No need to replace the whole pipe if yours isn't damaged.

Your idea of "throaty" may be different than mine or anyone else's. Check out YouTube videos for Magnaflow 12589 and 12259 on a 5.3 to get an idea of the sound.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It just so happens that a friend of mine has a 2004 Tahoe with a Flowmaster 50 on it, at the American Legion I hang out at, and I like the sound. I drove it and was what I was wanting.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just so happens that a friend of mine has a 2004 Tahoe with a Flowmaster 50 on it, at the American Legion I hang out at, and I like the sound. I drove it and was what I was wanting.

You can't beat hearing an exhaust in person! You gotta test drive it in all situations, especially cruising at various highway speeds, to see if and where it drones at and if it would be a problem for you.

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Year? I added a Magnaflow Catback exhaust to the 2015 Escalade. I am happy with the results and the performance. I added ARH headers which made the performance better but did increase the exhaust sound a bit.

When I had the 2005 Escalade, I added a magnaflow muffler. Never got around to upgrading the exhaust primarily because I was working on the other side of the country.

I went true dual exhuast on the 2011 Crew Cab not cats, with magnaflow mufflers. Sounds great but I do have some drone to contend with.

You may want to consider the magnaflow catback exhaust for your application. Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The exhaust work will be done Monday morning and I will hopefully post a video of the sound. Hopefully because I am old and mess up sometimes. Bear with me and I will get it done.

The Corvette servo will be going in on Tuesday. Will be doing the trans service while under there as well. I love that this rig has the deep trans pan and has the drain plug in it. The new front chrome bumper is also to be done Tuesday. Getting a paint estimate within the next 2 weeks. Plans are to get this all done and then start planning for some LED lighting, front and rear.

Next plans will be a trip to neighboring state of Idaho, with a friend or two of course, and get a tune at Black Bear. I have talked to them by phone.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some good plans. I have the FM50 muffler and like the sound. I contemplated changing it out to a Carven or Black Widow, but stuck with what I have. That BB tune will be one of the best things you do to our truck. I did it to both the NBS and NNBS and definitely helps the fun factor quite a bit!!! Maybe not MPG though....lol

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The FlowMaster is the muffler I talked to the installer about. He has a 2005 Tahoe with same engine and has he same exhaust and muffler set up as I THINK I want and it will be nice to hear it that morning before he does the work.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, got the exhaust on yesterday. First off, this is a cold start and that is why there is a small amount of smoke at tailpipe. The tailpipe is just the noise at idle and then I revved the engine in the other. Sounds really good on the inside while driving. Video to follow when I figure it out.

I have the video recorded and I can hear the sound during the video but when I try to download to this post it says the file is too large. One file is 7 seconds and the other is 11 seconds. What gives?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645