Oil ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnt000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick question the dealer I purchased my Tahoe from did a oil change before my purchase. I noticed they put 0W-20 oil in. Do I need to replace it with 5W-30 asap or can I wait until the next oil change?
If it is a newer Tahoe, that is the factory spec weight.

rbromm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Change it to 5w30 immediately. Using thinner oil will cause engine oil light in those engines don’t let anybody tell you different
0w-20 as recommended for my 6.2L engine in my 2016 Denali works fine. I have used Amsoil Signature oil since new and no issues burning or using oil. I did add a catch can to preserve my valves and get about 1/2 pint in it between oil changes. ( once a year ). I have 65k miles on mine. The engine bearing clearances are made for 0w-20 oil and heavier weight oils may be doing more harm than good. The AFM system in these engines depends on good oil flow and recommended oil is best for the longevity of that system.

rbromm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
0w-20 as recommended for my 6.2L engine in my 2016 Denali works fine. I have used Amsoil Signature oil since new and no issues burning or using oil. I did add a catch can to preserve my valves and get about 1/2 pint in it between oil changes. ( once a year ). I have 65k miles on mine. The engine bearing clearances are made for 0w-20 oil and heavier weight oils may be doing more harm than good. The AFM system in these engines depends on good oil flow and recommended oil is best for the longevity of that system

What is the problem with 0W-20? I run Amsoil 0W-20 and no issues with mine. 65,000 miles and not burning or using oil. I did add a catch can and get about 1/2 pint in it every 5,000 miles. Thinner oil flows better and this engine is clearanced to run fine on 0-20. Why does anyone think thicker oil is better in these engines? The thinner oil flows better and lubricates just fine. The engine bearing clearances are made for 0W-20. Thicker is not always better and in some cases, worse.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts