Oil smells like gas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I fear this may be for the worst.... my oil smells like gas and there’s red buildup on my gas cap. My engine also keeps leaking oil, I keep taking it to get fixed but there’s always a new leak. What goes? Head gaskets? Rings? Is it time for a new motor. No check engine light and 188 on the clock

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well I fear this may be for the worst.... my oil smells like gas and there’s red buildup on my gas cap. My engine also keeps leaking oil, I keep taking it to get fixed but there’s always a new leak. What goes? Head gaskets? Rings? Is it time for a new motor. No check engine light and 188 on the clock
I've never heard of red build up on a gas cap--but--Question--how do you drive? Do you beat on it? Quick, short trips? That might be the reason your oil smells strongly like gas. Is it also black?

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil is literally brand new. Maybe 250 miles on it. Its still golden and clear. I have a history of beating on it but I don't any more. Literally only quick short trips. 15 min or less drives 6 times a day. The red build up worries me because the coolant in these trucks is also red.

Z28TWITCH

Reaction score
Oil having a gasoline smell is kind of the norm. If you were washing down cylinders bad enough to have gasoline truly mixing with the oil you would know have smoke billowing out the tail pipe. As far as the red color on the gas cap, there's no way dex cool has made it to your gas tank, the two system have zero places where they can feed each other. The redish color is more or less the plastic being discolored with age. As for leaks, these motors in my experience dont leak much at all. Most common place I've seen 4.8s and 5.3s leaking is the rear main seal, however, sometimes it wasn't the rear main at all, it was the oil pressure sensor/switch on the back of the block leaking down. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil having a gasoline smell is kind of the norm. If you were washing down cylinders bad enough to have gasoline truly mixing with the oil you would know have smoke billowing out the tail pipe. As far as the red color on the gas cap, there's no way dex cool has made it to your gas tank, the two system have zero places where they can feed each other. The redish color is more or less the plastic being discolored with age. As for leaks, these motors in my experience dont leak much at all. Most common place I've seen 4.8s and 5.3s leaking is the rear main seal, however, sometimes it wasn't the rear main at all, it was the oil pressure sensor/switch on the back of the block leaking down. Hope this helps.

Okay cool thanks for the info. It might be the rear main that’s leaking and coming out from multiple places

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have gas in your oil, it could be a leaking fuel injector. Send an oil sample off to Blackstone-labs.com and have it check for gas.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have gas in your oil, it could be a leaking fuel injector. Send an oil sample off to Blackstone-labs.com and have it check for gas.

I can guarantee there's gas in my oil lol it smells like straight 87

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo