Oil return

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking to install a catch can here soon. The one I am looking to use has a 1 way valve that auto drains to a return location. These are cans used on heavy equipment with turbos and no some cheap can and I have many of them. I thought about just running 2. Put one off each side and just Y together the drains to the pan to keep things clean and symmetrical under the hood.

My curiosity is how easy is the factory oil pan to tap for a return? Are they prone to cracking or does the cast hold up ok?

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats way more work.... I dont think these engines even need catch cans.... On the LT1 it has 2 from the factory.

2 what catch cans?

The lack of fuel wash over the valves from direct injection is the reason I want a catch. The more oil I can prevent from getting pulled into the intake the better and setting it up now will be one step ahead for later when I go boosted. Lack of fuel wash and future boosting is also while soon ill be adding a water/meth kit.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LT 1 engine has 2 factory catch can. They are black plastic boxes with breather tubes leading into the intake manifold. I dont know if the L 86 has them.

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LT 1 engine has 2 factory catch can. They are black plastic boxes with breather tubes leading into the intake manifold. I dont know if the L 86 has them.

They do not. Hoses go straight from the valve cover to the intake.

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for now ill set it up to drain to the ground. Just Y them and dump it under cab. It would be a temp solution until I can get a holley pan ordered with a 1/2" return already in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods