Oil Pressure Suddenly @ 80psi !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct area for this but if not I guess I'll find out. The wife just came in and told me the Oil Pressure Gauge is reading 80 psi on her 05 Yukon! New sender (AC Delco) and maybe 3 yrs ago a new instrument cluster (Dorman?) What's the should I check 1st? What's easiest? I'm thinking it's the gauge. More like hoping really. 3rd sender in 4yrs! And they are no fun. I'd rather change the whole cluster.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guess is sensor fail. ours has been pegged for a couple years now.

Groan. NOT what I wanted to hear. LOL! Why do these eat those sensors? I went with AC Delco hoping it would be the last one since I heard Dormans always failed. If I could I'd go with a relocation kit. But, I'd still have to contort my hands and lay across the motor!

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure hope that isnt your case, but that is what my brain says. hopefully there is a way to test/check before you pull it apart, just to be sure.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear this but, when you do the sensor/sender I would attach a mechanical gauge and see what the oil pressure is at cold start and during the whole warm up process and if hose is long enough you can snake it out under the back of hood and tape to w/s and drive it and watch the pressure.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear this but, when you do the sensor/sender I would attach a mechanical gauge and see what the oil pressure is at cold start and during the whole warm up process and if hose is long enough you can snake it out under the back of hood and tape to w/s and drive it and watch the pressure.
Why?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if anyone knows of a way to test the sender I'd be interested. Hitting that threaded hole is a royal pain. I wouldn't want to do it twice just to watch a mechanical gauge. Which I don't have BTW. That's gotta be the worst place ever to get to.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So that you know the physical pressure at the spout instead of what a faulty sensor/sender is saying. If you have something else going on besides a faulty sensor/sender, then you will want to know that. Or, use the tried and true method used by many people that just assume it is always ok, just replace the sensor/sender.

I will ask you, why not?

I should have quoted. I am responding to @ks03

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
So that you know the physical pressure at the spout instead of what a faulty sensor/sender is saying. If you have something else going on besides a faulty sensor/sender, then you will want to know that. Or, use the tried and true method used by many people that just assume it is always ok, just replace the sensor/sender.

I will ask you, why not?

I should have quoted. I am responding to @ks03

Why not

I wouldn't want to do it twice just to watch a mechanical gauge. Which I don't have BTW.

@PNW VietVet if it was anything but pegged, absolutely
I used to check with a tech2 if there was anything else going on with the cluster, fuel gauge didn’t move, or 100mph in park... but I’ve never managed to fix a pegged oil pressure gauge with anything other than a sensor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE