Oil Pressure Sensor Keeps Failing with Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need some help with this. 2005 Tahoe Z71 with the 5.3 gas. I am on my 4th oil pressure sensor in 3 years, second in the last 4 months. Same problem each time, oil leak at the sensor connector. Oil is inside where the pigtail plugs in. I notice the small spots on the floor first. Eventually the gauge starts to misread due to the oil in the connector/pigtail. I have been replacing them with ACDelco PN 12677836 and I have the correct socket. There is no screen that I can see or am aware of on this engine below the sensor. It is not leaking around the threads, it is inside the connector.

Either I am doing something wrong when I replace them, something else is causing the same failure across multiple parts, or the parts are just crap. Anyone else experience this? HELP?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a screen on an '05; that's for AFM engines.

Has one of the sensors contaminated the wire connector, pushing oil into the wiring, and oil is possibly leaking back to the connector from the wiring? Might consider replacing the pigtail and a section of the wiring if that's the case.

OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a screen on an '05; that's for AFM engines.

Has one of the sensors contaminated the wire connector, pushing oil into the wiring, and oil is possibly leaking back to the connector from the wiring? Might consider replacing the pigtail and a section of the wiring if that's the case.
Maybe possible but the last one I put in was November and I sprayed the connector with cleaner and let is dry overnight.

The oil spots showed up again last week. Seems like it's enough oil to not be residual from the harness/pigtail but its something I had not considered. I have not ever replaced the pigtail or harness section.

Has anyone had luck with another part number or manufacturer of the oil sensor?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you acquiring your Delco part? Amazon is risky for fakes. I use summit or eBay seller partscenterplus (chevy dealer in AZ) when buying sensors.

EDIT: 26 lb ft torque spec

Long shot, too - the cam position sensor is next to the oil pressure sensor and can leak:
sierra062-jpg.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where are you acquiring your Delco part? Amazon is risky for fakes. I use summit or eBay seller partscenterplus (chevy dealer in AZ) when buying sensors.

EDIT: 26 lb ft torque spec

Long shot, too - the cam position sensor is next to the oil pressure sensor and can leak:
View attachment 392493

Awesome clear pic!

OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dumb question, but what is the operating oil pressure? Does it ever go high?
I don't have an external one to test with. According to the cluster gage anyway, I'ld say roughly 30 idle, 40 cruising, 50+ if I'm putting it to the floor and the trans kicks down, then it goes back to around 40. Is that right?

OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, like @Fless says, no screen. Where are you buying the sensors? So many counterfeits out there.
eBay and Amazon. Amazon from the ACDelco store, but sold by a third party. Ebay from Auto-Parts_US Do you think they are counterfeit? I should just get one from the dealer?

I've tried to get part covered on warranty from one seller, and they refused because I installed it myself. The (genuine) AC Delco part 12677836 has a 2 year from purchase, unlimited mile warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE