Oil Pressure Sensor Keeps Failing with Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, got it done today. Fresh Mobile1 full synthetic high mileage (165K on the Tahoe) with an STP extended life filter. Autozone had a great discount on this package. Back to the new oil pressure sensor from my local GMC dealer. The new one has some differences, mainly the glue around the sensor and metal body, and the angle at the bottom of the sensor.

I'll say though, I took it out to test everything and when I laid into it full kickdown, it was the first time I saw the oil pressure gauge hit 80 in a long time. I have more confidence in this sensor from the dealer already. I think the ones from Amazon and eBay were maybe counterfeit. I'll never know.

Attachments

• IMG_7751.JPG
    IMG_7751.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7753.JPG
    IMG_7753.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7762.JPG
    IMG_7762.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7763.JPG
    IMG_7763.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New part compared to old part. You can see on the new part are some writings and the green dot not present on the old too. The way the PN is written is even different, the font.

Attachments

• IMG_7766.JPG
    IMG_7766.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7767.JPG
    IMG_7767.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7768.JPG
    IMG_7768.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7769.JPG
    IMG_7769.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7770.JPG
    IMG_7770.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the sensor that is above the oil pressure sensor in this picture the cam position sensor? It had oil residue on the connector when I disconnected it. Cleaned it but maybe its time to replace that also? You can see the funk on the harness to it. Not sure if that from the oil pressure sensor leaking, maybe. I know when the oil pressure sensor fails because I have a couple spots under the Tahoe when its bad. No other leaks that I know of and have replaced multiple top and bottom gaskets in the last couple years.

Attachments

• IMG_7751.JPG
    IMG_7751.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 10

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the sensor that is above the oil pressure sensor in this picture the cam position sensor? It had oil residue on the connector when I disconnected it. Cleaned it but maybe its time to replace that also? You can see the funk on the harness to it. Not sure if that from the oil pressure sensor leaking, maybe. I know when the oil pressure sensor fails because I have a couple spots under the Tahoe when its bad. No other leaks that I know of and have replaced multiple top and bottom gaskets in the last couple years.
Nothing guarantees a new replacement sensor will be any better than an original. In fact, they can be worse than an oldie.

I would be hesitant to replace a sensor if it is working perfectly now. I've seen too many times, where doing that brings people down a rabbit hole of problems that just have a domino effect.

Clean the connections, reconnect and let it be. That is what I would do.

Correction: I'm not even sure I would disconnect it and clean inside... Spray down and wipe the outside, if the residue is a trigger making you twitch. There is a chance the seal, which as far as anyone knows is still sealing stuff out, might not be as flexible as when it was new and could get damaged when unplugging the connector. If nothing is wrong with it, I would not do a thing to it.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, that's the camshaft position sensor.

CPS.JPG

I would leave it connected and clean the area thoroughly and take a pic as a baseline, then monitor it closely to see if something is still leaking.

If you change the CPS, you may want to have a scanner handy that can do the recommended crankshaft position variation relearn procedure, which is recommended any time the CPS or CKPS is changed.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are using deep well socket to install the sensor on the old one looks to have had a open end wrench on it by seeing knick on hex. When using open end, you take a chance in breaking seal on top part of sensor. I would use deep well socket for installing sensor.

OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, that's the camshaft position sensor.

View attachment 393106

I would leave it connected and clean the area thoroughly and take a pic as a baseline, then monitor it closely to see if something is still leaking.

If you change the CPS, you may want to have a scanner handy that can do the recommended crankshaft position variation relearn procedure, which is recommended any time the CPS or CKPS is changed.
I’ll leave it for now but clean it up as recommended and keep an eye on it, pic for baseline. I have a laptop with Tech2Win and TIS2000 I use for it. Recently flashed the ECU TCU and front / rear hvac modules.

OP
OP
O

OutandAbout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are using deep well socket to install the sensor on the old one looks to have had a open end wrench on it by seeing knick on hex. When using open end, you take a chance in breaking seal on top part of sensor. I would use deep well socket for installing sensor.
I have the sensor socket I got from ORiely, the new sensor from GMC felt tighter in the socket. I don’t remove anything when I replace the sensor and use a couple extension with a swivel elbow in between. Made sure to only torque this one to 26 lb ft

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ll leave it for now but clean it up as recommended and keep an eye on it, pic for baseline. I have a laptop with Tech2Win and TIS2000 I use for it. Recently flashed the ECU TCU and front / rear hvac modules.

Curious, when you flashed the modules did you use the ones in TIS2000? Did yours show newer calibrations available, and did you use them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14