Oil pressure gauge sitting at about 40-42 psi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gossamer

Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge on my '02 Tahoe 5.3 just sits at about 40-42 psi at idle and even at 70mph. It moves so ever slightly but remains in that general area. Usually it is at about 45psi at idle and about 70-80 at 70mph.
It returns to zero when engine is off and key is on. It will go up to 60psi when first started but then goes to the 40-42psi and stays there even if you rev up the engine.
Engine seems to be running as good as it ever does.
Could this be a gauge issue?

Thanks

Last edited:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the ignition switch on, but engine not running, if oil pressure gauge reads zero, gauge is probably ok. Given 2002 MY, I bet you have over 100k miles, so more likely to be oil pickup tube oring. Lots of threads on that in this forum. Might be other causes, but that seems to be most common. Did you recently change oil filter? Some have reported defective oil filters causing oil pressure issues.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
With the ignition switch on, but engine not running, if oil pressure gauge reads zero, gauge is probably ok. Given 2002 MY, I bet you have over 100k miles, so more likely to be oil pickup tube oring. Lots of threads on that in this forum. Might be other causes, but that seems to be most common. Did you recently change oil filter? Some have reported defective oil filters causing oil pressure issues.

Yes, the oil was changed about a month ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17