Oil pickup tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To replace the oil pump you need to pull the front cover and in order to do that you need to pull the harmonic balancer, radiator, etc. If you’re replacing the pickup tube because you’re replacing the o-ring then nothing else besides the pan needs to come off. I take it you’re concentrating on the o-ring and doing the pickup tube while you’re there? If so, I’d stick with that. I doubt your oil pump needs replacing. Here’s a great article that covers the oil pump among other things. Bookmark this site, it’s got great info.

Thanks for the link!. I’ll read through it. I think I have a low oil pressure issue becuase the pickup tube is clogged. Would it be smart to just replace the pickup tube and ring since I’ll have it opened up?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!. I’ll read through it. I think I have a low oil pressure issue becuase the pickup tube is clogged. Would it be smart to just replace the pickup tube and ring since I’ll have it opened up?
Yes. Do both. It’s usually the o-ring that’s the issue. Make sure it’s tight when you install a new one. There’s 3 different o-rings iirc depending on your pump and year of the engine. There’s instructions on how to determine the right one, I believe Melling’s website has that.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Do both. It’s usually the o-ring that’s the issue. Make sure it’s tight when you install a new one. There’s 3 different o-rings iirc depending on your pump and year of the engine. There’s instructions on how to determine the right one, I believe Melling’s website has that.
Ok thanks mate! I’ll order the tube and the ring and see about installing it. Lol. Not sure if it’s a project I can tackle or not.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks mate! I’ll order the tube and the ring and see about installing it. Lol. Not sure if it’s a project I can tackle or not.
It’s super important that you use the right o-ring. You should have to lube it up with oil in order to get the tube to seat into the oil pump (but not impossibly tight) or else it will leak and you’ll still have low pressure. The pan is critical on installation too, there’s a certain procedure that must be followed, exact torques, dab of RTV in 4 locations etc.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s super important that you use the right o-ring. You should have to lube it up with oil in order to get the tube to seat into the oil pump (but not impossibly tight) or else it will leak and you’ll still have low pressure. The pan is critical on installation too, there’s a certain procedure that must be followed, exact torques, dab of RTV in 4 locations etc.
Yeah I went through the shop not installing the pan correctly like 3 times and still having leakage after spending the money for their labor to do it. I was NOT HAPPY! Lol. Anyways that’s the shop that’s now dead. So I have a connection with another local shop. He’s gonna call me tomorrow when he’s into get me a price on putting that in for me. I don’t think I have the skills or the tools necessary to do the job on my own. he wants to “ run diagnostics and see what the problem is”.... Ive already done that. Lol

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Isn't the front axle in the way of dropping the oil pan?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah I went through the shop not installing the pan correctly like 3 times and still having leakage after spending the money for their labor to do it. I was NOT HAPPY! Lol. Anyways that’s the shop that’s now dead. So I have a connection with another local shop. He’s gonna call me tomorrow when he’s into get me a price on putting that in for me. I don’t think I have the skills or the tools necessary to do the job on my own. he wants to “ run diagnostics and see what the problem is”.... Ive already done that. Lol
How low is the oil pressure--hot/cold?

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was at about the half way mark warming up. I couldn’t find the right menu that showed me the psi when it was fully cold.

Attachments

• 10F22602-B05A-4C7E-A62A-3451E543529A.jpeg
    10F22602-B05A-4C7E-A62A-3451E543529A.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick