oil pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one know if the oil pan can be removed without jacking the engine up off its mounts. The book says this is the way to remove the oil pan. I have a 98 two door 4wd with a 350. This weekend I changed the timing chain, water pump, valve cover gaskets and the upper and lower intake gaskets. My only hitch is the semi-circle shaped section of oil pan gasket that fits around the base of the timing chain front cover. This came off with the front cover. Now I have to change the oil pan gasket. Just curious if anybody else has attempted this job. Thanks.

By the way, this is a great site. I've learned alot surfing the forum. Thanks

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I was able to get it out without jacking the engine up... it's a tight fit though. You'll need to remove the oil dipstick tube.

You probably already know this, but you'll want to put some RTV where the oil pan gasket meets with the timing chain cover/gasket. This is why the factory timing gasket tore the oil pan gasket when you removed it.

And yes, the oil pan gasket goes on AFTER the timing chain cover - no need to remove it again. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autom8ted