Oil leak from engine block off gasket...need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busterbrown

Reaction score
After noticing a small amount of oil on my garage floor underneath my 2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L, I took it into the dealership to get checked out. First time I would use my extended, no-deductible service contract. Turns out, it's coming from the block off gasket up near the oil pan. The dealership service center said that my service contract does not cover repairs to this type of gasket. They did replace a rear door lock actuator and key fob for free though.

The gasket looks to be about $5.00. GM Part# 12611384. The dealer wants $160 to change the gasket out. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to do myself? Any special tools required? I can't imagine it's any harder than changing the engine oil. Would like to do it myself but I'm not finding much on the procedure. Any help is appreciated.

joshcarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy. remove bolts from the cover and slide it, and the gasket, off. replace gasket and cover, torque bolts to 106 in/lbs, done.

i'd post a .pdf, but the admins set the kb limit too low to upload them.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, that gasket fits the block off plate/cooler adapter on ANY LS-based engine, no matter what the displacement.

Note that the torque value noted above is in inch-pounds, not foot-pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman