Oil For A Tired Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
My '95 has a pretty tired motor and over the past 20 years I have to admit I haven't kept up with the oil changes as I should. I'm wondering if I should continue to use the recommended 10w-30 OR maybe try 50W...I'm thinking 50W would help reduce compression loss due to the cylinders prob being shot.

Anyone else try this?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by “tired”?

A little heavier weight oil might help, but I’d make sure that everything else is up to ***** as well.

When was the last time you changed the plugs and wires? They can get “tires” as well and affect power. While you have the plugs out, might try and run a compression test on all the cylinders to see where things stand in that regard.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d stick with the 10-30 especially if you are in a colder climate. You really aren’t looking at any significant compression gain. If you plan on using 20-50 and are anywhere where the temps dip below 40 at night, you’ll definitely be looking at premature wear especially at start up

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
What do you mean by “tired”?

A little heavier weight oil might help, but I’d make sure that everything else is up to ***** as well.

When was the last time you changed the plugs and wires? They can get “tires” as well and affect power. While you have the plugs out, might try and run a compression test on all the cylinders to see where things stand in that regard.
By "Tired" I mean low in power - especially top-end. Low-end still feels kinda good and it's pretty responsive. The wires and plugs are almost new. I def feel like i have a compression problem. There's no exhaust leak either. The motor has 215k.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
I’d stick with the 10-30 especially if you are in a colder climate. You really aren’t looking at any significant compression gain. If you plan on using 20-50 and are anywhere where the temps dip below 40 at night, you’ll definitely be looking at premature wear especially at start up
I live in a pretty warm climate. You have a good point about putting more wear on the motor...making it work harder. I was just thinking a higher viscosity oil would help with cylinder compression.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the basics?

Is it using oil? Smoking? Level going down between changes? Leaking [much]?

joe

Reaction score
Have you done a compression test? That alone will tell a lot about what's going on with your motor.

I would bet if you gave it a full blown intake cleaning (like the kind they do at a service shop, not just seafoam) you would get a pretty good result out of it. I did it on my last truck with only 70k on the clock and it was like night and day. Prob cost you about $100, worth a shot.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 15-40 diesel engine oil would be a cood compromise as long as temps above 0. However it sounds like you need to run a diagnostic to determine if you need a tune up/injectors.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
Have you done a compression test? That alone will tell a lot about what's going on with your motor.

I would bet if you gave it a full blown intake cleaning (like the kind they do at a service shop, not just seafoam) you would get a pretty good result out of it. I did it on my last truck with only 70k on the clock and it was like night and day. Prob cost you about $100, worth a shot.
I'll start with run of the diagnostics. This motor is due for some well deserved attention. I've kinda been neglectful....focusing on other life's challenges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n