Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Run your break in oil for the full OCI. It has high additives of things like moly and ZDDP that facilitate safe break in.

However, it's good practice to change your filter midway. Your engine will shed higher than normal amounts of metal and other particulates, causing the filter to fill up and go into bypass. Not great to be recirculating that back around through the engine.

I prefer amsoil EA or Fram Ultra Syn (don't start on me with the orange can of death. It's a good filter). Both will hold a lot of material with a low pressure drop across media - important for break in

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of varying responses, as expected. Some based on myth, some based on personal observation & experience, some based on factory recommendations. Hard to say what is the actual scientific answer, or even if it makes a noticeable difference.

In other words, while there are plenty of drivers who swear by very strict oil change intervals, there are still millions of drivers who follow much longer intervals without any measurable difference in engine performance or longevity.

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of varying responses, as expected. Some based on myth, some based on personal observation & experience, some based on factory recommendations. Hard to say what is the actual scientific answer, or even if it makes a noticeable difference.

In other words, while there are plenty of drivers who swear by very strict oil change intervals, there are still millions of drivers who follow much longer intervals without any measurable difference in engine performance or longevity.

ANd lets face it,,,, not many people original owners keep vehicles to the point that it will matter long term. I get teased all the time that the next owner will appreciate all the money I spent maintaing my vehicles.

We sold the wifes 2003 LTZ Trailblazer to a friend when it was at 130,000 miles maintained like I maintain everything else. He drove it to 180,000 and sold it to a friend of his who is still driving it...... thats the guy that should be thanking me !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10