Oil Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the J&L catch can and notice a slight hissing from the catch can when I have my head under the hood. With the hood shut I can’t hear it. Is this normal? Engine seems to be running fine but curious if I should be concerned about the hiss or if it’s just air traveling through the can/filter.

Seems to be a common theme on these 5.3’s. There are several YouTube videos on it. Check out YouTube channel Lone Star Hawaiian. I would disconnect and reconnect and feel around for any air. I have the same thing going on, but with a Team RXP 2023 twin cam system. I believe my sound is coming from the driver manifold cover.

morig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems to be a common theme on these 5.3’s. There are several YouTube videos on it. Check out YouTube channel Lone Star Hawaiian. I would disconnect and reconnect and feel around for any air. I have the same thing going on, but with a Team RXP 2023 twin cam system. I believe my sound is coming from the driver manifold cover.
This is on a 6.2, not sure if that makes a difference but I’ll give it a shot and see if I can tighten down the hose nuts on the can itself.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on a 6.2, not sure if that makes a difference but I’ll give it a shot and see if I can tighten down the hose nuts on the can itself.

Noise from the can is not common. What I’m finding in searching YouTube and google is that the air rushing noise in the line is common. Seems like it’s 50/50. My manufacturer wasn’t surprised and did not seem concerned about it.

morig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Noise from the can is not common. What I’m finding in searching YouTube and google is that the air rushing noise in the line is common. Seems like it’s 50/50. My manufacturer wasn’t surprised and did not seem concerned about it.
I reached out to J&L and they said it’s a common question they get with our application. They shared this video comparing.
Catch can comparison

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not technically "sludge". It's just from moisture (water) in the oil from condensation. You'll probably notice less of this during the warmer months.

Regardless, you know the can is helping as that oil could be coking up a cylinder or two.
Just revisiting this thread...

I had so much condensation that it would fill my catch can within days, then block the PCV flow. I had sludge backing up to the PCV valve itself. I decided it was better to remove the catch can. It seems that most people haven't had my experience, but it something to watch for.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just revisiting this thread...

I had so much condensation that it would fill my catch can within days, then block the PCV flow. I had sludge backing up to the PCV valve itself. I decided it was better to remove the catch can. It seems that most people haven't had my experience, but it something to watch for.

I've heard and seen this a few times here. Very rare. Seemed to be more common with those in cooler and maybe less humid environments. That's a LOT of moisture in just a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645