Oil Catch Can added to a 2009 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by trailblazer, Apr 11, 2019.

1. trailblazer

trailblazer Member

Name:
    Cecil
    I bought this Chinese half-liter can from eBay for $14. It does not have an internal diffuser so I'll probably replace it in the future. I reused some hardware to make the bracket from yesterday's Tru-Cool project.

I had no clue to where the PCV hose was and where it went to so I found some instructions on the internet for a kit for UPR's $109-159 catch can (depending on the options). Word to the wise - before you cut anything just know that the 90-degree adapter on the top of the engine is not as the instructions portray. I sliced it close to the fitting and discovered that I had destroyed the part. What I should have done was cut the rigid plastic tubing out about two inches. As you can see in the photo, I ended up drilling out the fitting and friction fit a piece of the tubing back into it. Also, I used my OTC Master Flaring Kit to make flared ends on the rigid tubing so my 3/8" hose wouldn't slide off. can01.jpg can02.jpg can03.jpg can04.jpg can05.jpg

This entire project cost about $18 if you account for the six feet or so of 3/8" tubing. I might order this catch can that has a baffle of sorts but is only $23.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    89Suburban likes this.
  2. 89Suburban

89Suburban Full Access Member

Name:
    Paw Paw

Nice work man, I need to get this done! :happy107:

3. iamdub

iamdub I feel ya, Mr. Cash. I feel ya.

Name:
    Chris
    I'd advise against the one with the breather on top since it will be a vacuum leak and cause high and/or erratic idle and an SES light. That one may have a plug option to replace the breather, though. I recently bought this one for my brother's truck (I have a catchcans.com one that I'm happy with). It looks to be a well-designed unit, especially for the price, and the only thing I'd do to it is add a piece of stainless scrubber pad on top of that round silver disc. I did this to mine and it improved it's efficiency. I just wish that Amazon one had a larger capacity. But it's easy enough to drain with the valve. I also wish the inlet and outlet ports were swapped around. They have an identical model with 3 ports that has a second inlet port that I should've gotten. I would screw a plug into the other inlet and then the ports would be oriented in a better position for a cleaner look on our engines.

89Suburban likes this.
  4. trailblazer

trailblazer Member

Name:
    Cecil
    Here is an update. I think I’ve driven about 400 miles since I installed the oil can. I drained it and some nasty emulsion came out. I’d guess about three ounces. I was quite surprised that south water lurks in these engines. I need to install a miniature ball valve and drain hose at the bottom of the can.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89Suburban likes this.
  5. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy Full Access Member

Name:
    Tom
    The water is condensation formed inside the can

2001 Yukon SLT
    2012 Yukon Denali XL
    2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18