OFFICIAL: 2015.5 (2015i) Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if you guys are even aware of how the 6 or 8 speed work. It's not like the trans actually uses all 6/8 forward gears. The trans shifts based on motor loading and speed and a host of other variables. You can in effect go from 1-2 to 5th and never utilize 6th. Based solely on vehicle load

All those extra gears just give the trans more choices. Either way, final drive ratio is still going to be ~.7 with a 6 speed and ~.7 with the 8 speed

The only advantage the 8 speed has over a 6 is the taller 1st gear and perhaps 2nd gear. I'll gladly purchase an 8 speed equipped rig on the next purchase.

But yeah, I find it odd that you'd "lose" $1700 to sell the 6 speed. And then lose another $???? On depreciation for the 8 speed.

Price you pay to keep up with the Jones I guess. I am interested to see how the 8 speed performs though. My Tahoe has adequate power down low, but she doesn't really come alive until 2nd and the higher rpms. The mechanical advantage for the 8 sounds appealing. It just depends if GM utilized the option

OP
OP
motorwerks

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll lost $1700 on the original purchase since I discounted the truck less than I paid for it by $1700 and sold it to a customer of mine (I'm a car dealer FYI). My 2015.5 Denali WILL be worth at least $1700 more than a 2015 unit in 3 years. Net loss zero with a 2015.5 to gain.

As I mentioned before, if there was currently an option costing $1700 for 8L90 8-speed automatic transmission, most Denali purchasers would pay extra for it as it stands.

And 1st gear in the 8-speed is SHORTER not taller. It gives faster acceleration off the line; especially when towing. There are two overdrive ratios and a taller rear axle ratio for less rpms when cruising. It's just a nicer setup.

Just drive an 8-speed Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8 vs. the previous non 8-speed version....Google it and see tester's impressions. Check out the Porsche Cayenne Turbo with the larger spread transmission vs. earlier ones, etc., etc.

An 8-speed Denali with the newer direct injection 6.2L WILL be a completely different experience. Worst case scenario, it costs me $1700. Big deal! My truck will also be 6 months newer and have the 2015.5 updates. Well worth it. Not to mention, the deal is done, my 2015 is sold and gone, and I'm ready to order the new one. BTW, I don't pay sales tax either....I'm a car dealer with dealer plates.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

right...can't wait for "recalls" on the new trans? Meanwhile the ENTIRE 6.2L Direct Injection V8 is ALL NEW! .....as well as the rest of the damn truck! ....but it's okay to have recalls on the rest of the items?

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, where you get the figure $1700 on resale value 3 years later?

OP
OP
motorwerks

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple. Just take ANY manufacturer's vehicle as of late...for example look at a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee vs. a 2014 model. The resale between both models is exponentially higher in the 2014 vs. the 2013. However, compare a 2012 to a 2013....it's linear. The reason? Most car dealers know that 2014 had a significant change in the cosmetics (LED headlamps, new tail lamps, new UConnect 8.4" Nav, new 8-speed transmission, etc., etc.).

In 2003, Mercedes-Benz V12's became twin-turbo charged (as compared to 2002 models). The rest of the vehicle also received some minor cosmetics. Resale increased 15% compared to 2001-2002 models. Why? MAJOR power train changes; no other reason. This same thing happened in 2012 when S550s became twin-turbo charged. Look at 2009-2010-2011 resale...nice and linear. 2012 jumps. Again, due to the significant power train change.

A 2015.5 (which MIGHT be considered a 2016 MY btw), by virtue of just age (newer than a 2015) is ALREADY worth more than $1700 than a 2015.0 model. Then, consider the MAJOR change with the powertrain (i.e. 8-speed transmission), and you now have a vehicle, like any other manufacturer, that is SIGNIFICANTLY different than the 6-speed variant.

BTW, those that believe an 8-speed equipped 6.2L is not much different than a 6-speed version really should test drive the newer truck. It's the difference, in feel, of a 5.3L vs. 6.2L in throttle response from a dead stop. (i.e. 1st gear takeoff). The 8-speed will have more initial punch. This is NOT a subtle change folks...

ecanem

Reaction score
That's a horrible comparison. Twin turbo vs. a tranny.

I'll bet most gm dealers won't even know the difference. The ones around me didn't know anything about the current model.

I can guarantee the auction prices won't show the difference unless there is a MY difference.

As for using the comparison that "it's newer" that's really bad. Of course anything "newer" will have more value than an "older" vehicle.

If I sold my 2015 and bought a 2015.5 I would be looking at $5000+ costs in sales tax alone.

In 5 years if someone sells their 2015 private resale, I'll bet very few buyers even know the difference between the 6 and the 8 speed.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol: my thoughts exactly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226