Off-road Lighting Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So, as of late I've been thinking a ton about adding some lighting to my 2002 Tahoe. I'm on a budget and these lights will get light use. Also, no led bars. Sorry, just not for me.

Anyway, Harbor Freight (I know, I know) sells the following lights:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-off-road-light-system-95813.html

The plan would be to paint them to prevent rust and run them on my roof rack.

Next, they also carry these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/off-road-long-range-truck-light-system-3029.html

I would run these behind my grill after I remove the center and use stucco mesh to fill-in. This is based off of middelgriff1's design. I'm contemplating just using 2 of these in the grill as they are more of a spot light.

Lastly, there's these lights:
http://www.harborfreight.com/clear-lens-halogen-lights-37349.html

These I would plan on running through my roof rack to use as a back-up/camping light. The rack already has mounting holes for it.

Thoughts, feedback? I'm a 23 year old master's student with more smarts than money, so be gentle :sorrysign: Thanks guys!

StormPackie

Reaction score
Drill a hole thru the roof run the wiring thru the roof console an thru the beta columns is where the wiring line is at.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the chrome ones add that classic look. I would definitely buy one and power it up and see what the output is. And whether it's worth it or not

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I planned to do a similar lighting upgrade behind the grille on my old truck, bought some of those from amazon...

Ended up trading the truck for the Denali before I had time to button it up.

Run some bosch style relays

Found my old post.

I've picked up 4 of these cheap!
Blazer C52CW Baja off Road Quartz Halogen Light-1 each by Blazer International Trailer & Towing Accessories http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L0AAQY/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_WTqKtb1PGH23T

I've got some 10awg copper wire from eBay for $15

2xParts express relays
Parts Express 12 VDC Waterproof Relay SPDT 30/40A with Metal Bracket by Parts Express Amazon.com : Parts Express 12 VDC Waterproof Relay SPDT 30/40A with Metal Bracket : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics

2x In line blade 10awg fuse holders with 30amp fuses $5

And switches
5PC New 16A 12V Round Rocker Toggle Switch Blue LED SPST For All by nj365 Automotive Amazon.com: 5PC New 16A 12V Round Rocker Toggle Switch Blue LED SPST For All: Automotive

I Thought I would give you guys a look at the lamps I purchase for $9 a piece shipped

These things are nice and heavy. adjustable, glass, and come with 100w bulbs supposedly.
(100w hellas cost what, $6?)

I will remove the wiring since I'm running 10awg

I actually purchased 2 of these on amazon warehouse deals for $6 as "used like new" with dented/unopened boxes.

IMAG0960.jpg
IMAG0963.jpg
IMAG0962.jpg
IMAG0964.jpg
IMAG0961.jpg

:whistling2:
IMAG0965.jpg

2 cleaned untouched lenses
IMAG0967.jpg

[/URL]

You could always put some hella 150w bulbs in them.

Still sitting in my garage taking up space. Maybe Ill put them behind the grille on my Jeep or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GulfCoastTahoe
Reaction score
I would run it through the existing hole from when the Tahoe used to be a sheriff's vehicle. Also, the roof rack is drilled for lights already from the previous owner, so I could even run the back-up lights through the same hole and then through the rack.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

And as far as output goes for the 55w roof lights, I figured I'd run those until they burned out and then swap in some 100w lights. I've read about it being done on several other forums.

Also, the chrome would be neat, but these things are notorious for surface rust. I'm just gonna go with painting them black to be safe.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would buy those 100w Blazer lights over the 55w harbor freight ones...

OP
OP
GulfCoastTahoe
Reaction score
The blazer lights look about the same except they have the 100w bulbs already? Might have to go that route. Good call. Do they pivot up and down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove