OEM Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MickeyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a few questions regarding trailer brake controllers for my 09 Tahoe.

I'm looking to install a controller, and it seems like it's straightforward to pop in an aftermarket one. However, I've been doing some digging to see if I can find a more OEM solution.

I see that in the OEM installations, the knee bezel under the steering wheel is a different part with a molded hole for the controller switch. When I looked, though, it seems that for the 2010-2014 range, the geometry for the parking brake release is different than what is in my Tahoe. Is this parking brake release something that changed between the 09 and 10 model years?

After doing a bit more digging, it seems that the bezel for the 09 Silverado has the geometry I need for the parking brake release and it has the option for the factory controller switch.

My other question is that if I go with the OEM switch, is there anything further I need? It almost seems like the module that mounts in this bezel is only the switch, and that an additional part would be needed to get the functionality I need.

In summary, my question is that if I wanted to install a trailer brake controller with OEM parts in a truck which did not have this from the factory, what exactly would I need?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I've read that the factory brake controller can not be added to a vehucle that came with it. It is integrated way too much into the systems of the vehicle.

I just added an aftermarket one. Rather easy and cheap. There are wires for it bundled under the dash.

As for the parking brake release handle, I don't have one on my 2012. The brake is released by pushing the pedal down more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMYK