OEM Nav/Radio plugs in the rear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to find out later this week when my Factory antenna and wiring harness for the XM Radio show up and I get it installed!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

That'd be fun to try, where did that antenna and wiring harness?

There are some XM functions, like weather, traffic and blue tooth, that I wonder if you really need the service for that.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'd be fun to try, where did that antenna and wiring harness?

There are some XM functions, like weather, traffic and blue tooth, that I wonder if you really need the service for that.

Ron

I purchased this one:
eBay item number:

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score

Ron, I may be wrong on this but I think that the Bluetooth function is in the VCIM module which is for the OnStar service because they use the factory MIC and steering controls.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron, I may be wrong on this but I think that the Bluetooth function is in the VCIM module which is for the OnStar service because they use the factory MIC and steering controls.

Oh yes, that is true... my bad....

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased this one:
eBay item number:

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

I was on a road trip, to the Dallas TX area, and noticed something weird. In certain really busy traffic areas in the area, the NAV radio would announce traffic info, which is weird and I never heard that before. I don't have an XM radio antenna installed. Traffic and weather info is received through XM, right? (because I have no idea what else it could be, assuming that the GPS hardware itself doesn't do that.

Soooo if that info is received by XM, I might try to get an XM antenna in there.

Does anyone know how traffic/weather info is received?

thanks,

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on a road trip, to the Dallas TX area, and noticed something weird. In certain really busy traffic areas in the area, the NAV radio would announce traffic info, which is weird and I never heard that before. I don't have an XM radio antenna installed. Traffic and weather info is received through XM, right? (because I have no idea what else it could be, assuming that the GPS hardware itself doesn't do that.

Soooo if that info is received by XM, I might try to get an XM antenna in there.

Does anyone know how traffic/weather info is received?

thanks,

Ron

Very interesting. I look forward to hearing how this turns out. Myself I am back to my original radio. The Nav radio has some sort of issue that it keeps turning off and they want $990 for me to send it out for exchange through the dealership and I sure can not afford that so for now I am dead in the water with my Nav!

One thing about the XM radio antenna that I got was that the plug has a double connector on it and the XM radio plug for the radio is a single connector so I am still working to figure out how to plug it in. I think I have it figured out but I am out of cash at the moment and have not been able to buy the adapter cable that I think will solve the problem. More to follow once I get that cable.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I look forward to hearing how this turns out. Myself I am back to my original radio. The Nav radio has some sort of issue that it keeps turning off and they want $990 for me to send it out for exchange through the dealership and I sure can not afford that so for now I am dead in the water with my Nav!

One thing about the XM radio antenna that I got was that the plug has a double connector on it and the XM radio plug for the radio is a single connector so I am still working to figure out how to plug it in. I think I have it figured out but I am out of cash at the moment and have not been able to buy the adapter cable that I think will solve the problem. More to follow once I get that cable.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

What do you mean it turns off.. as in powers down?

Yeah I wonder what happened when I was in Dallas.. maybe the XM signal strength was enough for the radio to pick it up?

Other than that, my radio worked as it should, FM, USB and NAV works just fine.

The traffic info just kinda was freaky

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean it turns off.. as in powers down?

Ron

It is like someone reached over and pushed the power button and turned it off except it does it all by itself. It happens every 5-10 minutes so there is something wrong with the radio and I do not have any more money to spend on it right now so I just took it back out. Bummer.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is like someone reached over and pushed the power button and turned it off except it does it all by itself. It happens every 5-10 minutes so there is something wrong with the radio and I do not have any more money to spend on it right now so I just took it back out. Bummer.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

After it shuts down, can you immediately turn it on, or does it take a while? Also, I believe you bought it on Ebay, they won't take it back or replace it?

Ron