OEM Head Unit Problem HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I have an 04 Suburban with the Bose system with the 6 CD in dash unit. Of course the CD player doesn't work, and I'm probably one of few people who still buy CDs and use cds often. Anyways here is my dilemma.

I pulled a single CD/cassette unit from an 03 Silverado in the junkyard. I made sure it had the "band" button so I could keep my XM and my RSE because I do use both of those. I installed it into my truck and it turned on and everything functioned properly, but there's no sound. From what I read the 03-06 head units would work as long as you either removed the chip from the board or had the dealer program it, even if it was from a non Bose truck.

Does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't have any sound coming out? Any help would be appreciated. I'm not installing an aftermarket radio as I like the look of the factory ones, especially the single CD/cassette unit.

If anyone knows which units are compatible as well let me know. I'm no expert on these trucks and I welcome any knowledge and advice.

Thank you,
Tyler

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Did it say "LOCKED" on the display screen? I'm not familiar with the Bose setup. Maybe your amp gave out--somewhat common issue with those amps.

OP
OP
TylerHagerdorn
Reaction score
Did it say "LOCKED" on the display screen? I'm not familiar with the Bose setup. Maybe your amp gave out--somewhat common issue with those amps.
No it's not locked. The stock 6 disc still outputs sound just fine, but the single CD I pulled out of the 03 Silverado isn't putting sound out. All the functions work and all that just no sound. I'm leaning towards it being defective but I'm not sure. I'm going to head to the junkyard again tomorrow morning I stashed a bunch of head units from other trucks into one truck so I can just go grab from my stash there

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No it's not locked. The stock 6 disc still outputs sound just fine, but the single CD I pulled out of the 03 Silverado isn't putting sound out. All the functions work and all that just no sound. I'm leaning towards it being defective but I'm not sure. I'm going to head to the junkyard again tomorrow morning I stashed a bunch of head units from other trucks into one truck so I can just go grab from my stash there
Not positive, but pretty sure you can't use a non Bose radio in a Bose setup.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not positive, but pretty sure you can't use a non Bose radio in a Bose setup.

I think this is the issue. From my limited understanding, Bose system is completely different than a non-Bose system, so it's possible the Bose amp/speakers aren't recognizing (or getting the right signals from) your single CD head unit.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I think this is the issue. From my limited understanding, Bose system is completely different than a non-Bose system, so it's possible the Bose amp/speakers aren't recognizing (or getting the right signals from) your single CD head unit.
Agreed.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense... Bose would design a proprietary system, because everything is unique to their system.
That is what made the Bose the most premium factory upgrade GM offered at the time.
Every component in the system was engineered as a part of the total package for what GM and Bose intended to be the best sounding system possible.

I would guess Bose would not to field complaints about sound quality after someone tried to integrate non-Bose components, so let's make some of the connections and way things are processed juuuust different enough.

Can you wire up amps and after-market head units to drive the Built-in Bose speakers? Sure. I guess. Just not plug and play...

OP
OP
TylerHagerdorn
Reaction score
Okay here's some info I've found. Bose didn't make the head units, their system runs off a separate amp outside the radio. They put the single CD and the single CD with cassette units in the trucks with Bose as well. I picked up two more from the junkyard and one of them outputted sound just fine. But here's what's strange...I totally get where you guys are coming from on the non Bose unit won't work in the Bose vehicles, but I sold someone a single CD out of my 2005 cavalier(which doesn't have Bose) and he put it into his 2005 Sierra with Bose and he said it works just fine. So that's where it doesn't make sense to me. If a non Bose won't work in a vehicle with the Bose system then how does a cavalier radio work in a truck with Bose?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay here's some info I've found. Bose didn't make the head units, their system runs off a separate amp outside the radio. They put the single CD and the single CD with cassette units in the trucks with Bose as well. I picked up two more from the junkyard and one of them outputted sound just fine. But here's what's strange...I totally get where you guys are coming from on the non Bose unit won't work in the Bose vehicles, but I sold someone a single CD out of my 2005 cavalier(which doesn't have Bose) and he put it into his 2005 Sierra with Bose and he said it works just fine. So that's where it doesn't make sense to me. If a non Bose won't work in a vehicle with the Bose system then how does a cavalier radio work in a truck with Bose?
the "bose" radio's have extra output pins that send the signal to turn on the separate Bose amp, they will use the same harness as a non bose radio.
so when you installed the non bose radio it did not have the output to turn on the amp, even though the plug is the same
next time you go to the junkyard look at the harness on a non bose vehicle and then look at a bose equipped vehicle and you will see the plug is the same but the bose equipped plug will have more wires/pins occupied on the connector.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman