Odometer off - Re calibration

Discussion in 'Interior' started by steve rooney, Oct 22, 2018.

1. steve rooney

steve rooney TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Have you ever check your odometer to see if it's correct? I did and it's almost exactly 1/10th off per mile. I did the math for about 170K miles and that equals 17000 miles above actual. Anyone ever have their odometer re-calibrated? I have the same tires that came from the factory so no changes there. Very curious about re-calibration of odometer.

2. MrBalll

MrBalll Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    No, never done it. Not too much of a reason with these trucks. The tranny and engine last a good long time so 170k vs 153k isn't much of a difference in my eyes. Once over 100k it's all the same really.

I've never read of anyone else on the forums doing it and I keep up with most of the posts. Who knows, maybe someone will chime in with info.

Doubeleive likes this.
  3. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    mine is off by about 2/10'th build sheet says it came with 18" but at some point it was changed to 20", I asked the dealer about calibration and they said it was kind of a moot issue and that they probably couldn't even get it any closer, I could change it with my hypertech but just have never bothered it's not off enough to even get ticketed.

4. Tyler Houseknecht

Tyler Houseknecht Member

Name:
    Tyler
    My 04 has 16 inch tires I believe (non z71). I wanted to put 17 or 18s on with mild AT tires. Will this throw off the odometer?

5. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    it will but not by very much, my 00 nbs Yukon was always off by 5mph with 20's

6. Fless

Fless Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    @Tyler Houseknecht, you could use a program to compare -- this is one of many out there: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I changed my OE 16x7s to 18x9 takeoffs from a 2015 Silverado. Went from 265/70R16s to 265/65R18s, and the 18s were maybe 3/4" taller overall. The speedo read a little high before, now it reads slightly low (when it says 65mph I'm going about 66mph actual.)

7. Tyler Houseknecht

Tyler Houseknecht Member

Name:
    Tyler
    Thanks. I figured getting a slightly thinner sidewall would help compensate.

8. adriver

adriver Full Access Member

Name:
    Justin
    Depends on the tire size. Mine is not much of a difference, but I run 265/70/17 when my factory (going off QNF RPO CODE) was 235/75/16 (on a Silverado) is a 1.72" tire height difference. I've compared it against a GPS and when it says 65, im doing 69. I forget sometimes, but if I'm doing 80 in a 75 because I think I can get away with it, I'm really doing 85 in a 75, or 95 in an 85, which I probably won't.

9. Tyler Houseknecht

Tyler Houseknecht Member

Name:
    Tyler
    Thanks so much for the input. So you ran the 265/70/17 without any rubbing issues?

10. adriver

adriver Full Access Member

Name:
    Justin
    I'm running that size on a Silverado, not a SUV. I'm not certain if everything up front is the same or not. I get the slightest rub with 17 x 7.5 ET 31 with those tires at stock height at full steering lock on the sway bar. If I let off even a 1/4" I don't rub. You would be better off finding out how someone with a Tahoe/Yukon does it.

Tyler Houseknecht likes this.