Odd starting issues when cold/battery dying. Looking for ideas please..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.When its cold out, it takes a few cranks for the engine to turn over almost like it might not start but when warmed up it fires up fine. Could too small of a plug gap cause this now that its cold out? I had changed the gap a month back chasing down missfires.

2.So far this issue has happened twice: while sitting listening to the radio, the truck wouldnt start after only 20 minutes. The motor wouldnt crank just click and radio was wiped out. I had a cop try to jump start it and it took like 10 minutes straight before it finally turned over.

I had the alt/starter/battery check and all wires brushed off and fuses checked but NOTHING came back as out of line. Even the battery is only a year old, anything else I should be looking at?

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i`d go have your battery tested. i think autozone does it for free.

either that or you may have a draw on the battery and it runs the battery down when it`s off. maybe from an aftermarket stereo or alarm? that may be why it`s slow cranking when cold.

OP
OP
yooformula

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stereo and alarm is still stock, I thought it was a voltage draw as well but havent found anything. I had autozone test the batt/alt/starter and all came back very good! thanks so far though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_hyde

Latest posts