Odd fuel/starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
I agree about the stepper motor but that will not keep the engine from running or starting. The fact that the potentiometer better known as the sending unit is attached at the hip to the fuel pump in the tank leads me to believe that the whole assembly is bad and not just a stepper motor in the cluster. Yes, they are known for stepper motor problems but not for the stepper motor keeping it from running or starting.

You may be correct since they use the same conector/wiring pigtail but I was thinking of two separate issues here. First an erratic gauge and secondly and coincidentally a driveability/starting issue. I could be wrong.

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From your scenario my opinion is a loose electrical connection at the top of the fuel tank. Was it raining or anything that day? Might want to check the pins of the pigtail plugging into the sending unit.

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I have not had the chance to get the fuel pressure tester. I drove the nali Friday and Saturday with no problems.

I don't know when the fuel filter was last replaced, probably not recently.

Will likely replace that asap. Hopefully I'll have time to work on the thing tomorrow.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Here's a cheap easy diagnosis for you.

Grab a nice cold beer.

Sit in the driver's seat and cylce the key on/off/on/off over and over letting the gauges do their normal thing. Look for erratic behavior.

The pre 04 GMT800s had tons of cluster issues, Your Nali is included. Key on... key off /repeat. Also, the needles should sweep up/down smoothly. Any jerky motion indicates a failing stepper motor.

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a cheap easy diagnosis for you.

Grab a nice cold beer.

Sit in the driver's seat and cylce the key on/off/on/off over and over letting the gauges do their normal thing. Look for erratic behavior.

The pre 04 GMT800s had tons of cluster issues, Your Nali is included. Key on... key off /repeat. Also, the needles should sweep up/down smoothly. Any jerky motion indicates a failing stepper motor.
I'm all for any diagnosis that starts with step 1: grab cold beer
[emoji41]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz