OBS vs NBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oifla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forums and Chevy/GM but have been wrenching for a long time.

I'm searching for my first Suburban and I have a question on generation/models. I know I want a 4WD model, I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton (2500) and I'm currently looking for a 1996-2006, meaning my search spans two generations.

I'm finding as many (meaning as few) of one or the other and the mileage numbers don't seem to vary too much (considering the difference in years).

Any super compelling reasons to choose GMT400 (meaning OBS, 1996-1999) over GMT800 (NBS, 2000-2006)? I know the engines are different (454 vs. 6.0L/8.1L) but for my limited towing needs any/all will do the job.

I read elsewhere (but still need to verify) that the frames changed 'considerably' between the two generations, any truth to that? Anything else to consider? Thanks

O.

2door2wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forums and Chevy/GM but have been wrenching for a long time.

I'm searching for my first Suburban and I have a question on generation/models. I know I want a 4WD model, I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton (2500) and I'm currently looking for a 1996-2006, meaning my search spans two generations.

I'm finding as many (meaning as few) of one or the other and the mileage numbers don't seem to vary too much (considering the difference in years).

Any super compelling reasons to choose GMT400 (meaning OBS, 1996-1999) over GMT800 (NBS, 2000-2006)? I know the engines are different (454 vs. 6.0L/8.1L) but for my limited towing needs any/all will do the job.

I read elsewhere (but still need to verify) that the frames changed 'considerably' between the two generations, any truth to that? Anything else to consider? Thanks

O.
the newer ones RUST. my 1997 is 20 years old i have no rust or rot and i live in new york. the new ones have the ls style engine though and thats a huge plus imo.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 95 4dr 4wd Tahoe it was a great truck don't get me wrong sold it and picked up an 04 Escalade 6.0 AWD it blows it away, more power slightly better mpg, rides and drives a lot smoother, wish I made the switch sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 Yukon SLE 4x4 and a 08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4.

Love them both for there differences.

I love the LS power in the 08, but there is nothing like a simple 350 small block to work on and maintain. The gas mileage difference between the 2 is not far off either.

Bang for the buck, I think the OBS is the way to go.

Maybe if you could better define the day to day useage, we can better assist.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oifla........I'm sure you will make the right decision. As 2door2wheel/Tom stated, NO RUST, likewise on my 99 2wd. The underneath is just like it came from GM, being a one owner and lives in the garage. 197,000 and still going strong. Good luck
David g...........:)

fishingwizard

Reaction score
I have owned 2 different OBS tahoes, both 99s and an 07 burb NNBS. I too am looking for a 3/4 ton burb or my unicorn, a 7.3 Excursion in good shape (I know, blasphemy).

If you are looking for 3/4 burb, Price and options are key. Here is my line of thinking and how I am looking for a 3/4 burb.

I would not go with an OBS 3/4 ton. I prefer the interior of the NBS over the OBS. Most NBS have the rear hatch and glass while most OBS will have barn doors. Pending options, the NBS burbs could have bucket 2nd row seats and a sunroof and DVD system. The NBS trucks have the updated 4l80e tow/haul trans and it is night and day difference over the OBS trans. That is the thing I miss most about my NNBS going back to my old hoe. RPMs stay where you need them in tow/haul and also downshifts when you slow down while towing. You also have more options with engines on the NBS with the 6.0 or the 8.1. Gearing most likely with the 6.0 will be a 4.10 rear (6.0 and a 3.73 is super rare) while the 8.1 could be a 3.73 or 4.10. The 6.0 and 8.1 engines are far superior to the 454, more fuel efficient (all things considered) and have a longer lifespan from all the research I have done.

My 3/4 burb would be one that I keep for a while (10+ yrs) for a tow/hunt/fish so I have been looking for a LT loaded with all the options which makes my search a little harder. All things considered, I'd prefer a NNBS 09 3/4 burb and up with the 6l80e in an LT3 package which is basically a LTZ 3/4 ton minus the air ride. That would be my ideal burb as I loved my NNBS 07 but I can't lay down that money yet.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia