OBD1 to OBD2 conversion? Is it possible? What would it take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobttroll

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OBD1 to OBD2 conversion? Is it possible? What would it take?

Is there anyway to convert an OBD1 to an OBD2?

I have what I thought was a 97. It seems it is a 95 or older. At least engine wise. It has an OBD1 connector. So what I'm looking for is to get an OBD2 connector on it and a method of pushing OBD2 info so I can get this car emmisions tested in the future.

Let me know what you guys think.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of the engine bay, we'll be able to tell if it's really a 97 of not. Too much shit to change over to fake a 95 as a 97 and vice versa. You need a complete ODB2 drive train, harness and computer. It's not worth it ... You know you can get it emissions tested the way it is right? The biggest draw back was it's not tuneable on the fly like the new stuff.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
So they vin swapped it to say its a 95? to make obd2 you need more another 02 and alot of work not worth it

OP
OP
bobttroll

bobttroll

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pics of the engine bay, we'll be able to tell if it's really a 97 of not. Too much shit to change over to fake a 95 as a 97 and vice versa. You need a complete ODB2 drive train, harness and computer. It's not worth it ... You know you can get it emissions tested the way it is right? The biggest draw back was it's not tuneable on the fly like the new stuff.

So they vin swapped it to say its a 95? to make obd2 you need more another 02 and alot of work not worth it

Pics attached. I'm pretty sure it really is a 95 or older. It has tbi. Please explain what you mean by I can still has it emmisioned tested with an obd2. I'm in Illinois and they dont do the dyno test anymore. OBD2 or nothing unless theres another way they administer the test.

Is there any known way of attaching a obd2 computer and having it output info as if it were on a running car?

I know the question is crazy.

Attachments

• DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0083.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 12

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
DUDE, you really need to take the truck back to where you bought it from. from all evidence you provided the vin has been swapped on your vehicle therefore making its sell very illegal. you have no idea now what the vehicle has been thru. it could be previously damaged, stolen or a deliberately defrauded transaction for some other reason. i would normally help but in this case it needs to be reported to law enforcement and therefore i will not help. sorry.

slipping

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUDE, you really need to take the truck back to where you bought it from. from all evidence you provided the vin has been swapped on your vehicle therefore making its sell very illegal. you have no idea now what the vehicle has been thru. it could be previously damaged, stolen or a deliberately defrauded transaction for some other reason. i would normally help but in this case it needs to be reported to law enforcement and therefore i will not help. sorry.

Agree 100%

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of the other side of the engine bay, might be able to tell something from there. Does the VIN actually say it's a 97?? It's possible they did a body swap, which could certainly be legal in some states if certain rules are followed.

What I was saying about the OBD1 is that you can still hook a computer up to it and see what's going on real time, just like an ODB2, you just can't tune on the fly like the newer stuff. I don't know how they do emissions stuff there, I don't' have any here in northern AZ so I don't have to worry about it.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
My bet is its very possibke the truck had a title loan or stolen and was vin swapped to sell it.... Imo go get your money back and threaten police because if the emissions find out then they will jist take it away and you will lose the cash. Tbi for 4dr was only avalible on the 95.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

There should be another vin plate on the frame if im correct. Kight wanna look for it and run it and see if its stolen or whats he deal on it. Also seen people swap bodys and keep a vin so like if the truck was wrecked they bever report to insurance and sell like it was never wrecked

19 tahoe 97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long have you had the truck, you might be screwed already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65