O2 Sensors Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timee

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2009 Tahoe 2wd 189,000 5.3 and I brought it to my mechanic because it has had a cel light on. The light has been on for a couple of weeks but no problems with the Tahoe runs smooth, smooth idle everything. He says Cyl 4 says a misfire so he ran it for a little no misfire nothing wrong. Also, he says there are 4 codes about the O2 sensors he says. He doesn't do exhaust but I asked the shop up the street he says it sounds like the cats are going bad. The shop up the road is a fee to diagnose so I haven't brought it up there yet. Does this sound like the cats or a sensor problem? Just tryna see where to start.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2009 Tahoe 2wd 189,000 5.3 and I brought it to my mechanic because it has had a cel light on. The light has been on for a couple of weeks but no problems with the Tahoe runs smooth, smooth idle everything. He says Cyl 4 says a misfire so he ran it for a little no misfire nothing wrong. Also, he says there are 4 codes about the O2 sensors he says. He doesn't do exhaust but I asked the shop up the street he says it sounds like the cats are going bad. The shop up the road is a fee to diagnose so I haven't brought it up there yet. Does this sound like the cats or a sensor problem? Just tryna see where to start.

Your mechanic's speak in fluff, no specifics. Might be because you are not yet learned about cars.

Go on Amazon and get an OBDII adapter that will work with your phone and download Torque Pro or something similar.

Now YOU can pull up the codes yourself and not rely on someone else.

The only time a cat converter code is a false positive is with a massive exhaust leak in front of it. A cat code does not mean it's time for new sensors. Having said that, at 189K miles, yours are 89K miles overdue for replacement. $180 or so delivered for all 4 plus labor or tools if you DIY.

Cheap Chinese Communist catalytic converters do not last. I replaced mine with a Magnaflow Y-Pipe and Cats almost six years ago and still going strong.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I dont have reader going to have to bring it to someone
It would be way easier to follow what you are trying to convey if you stopped making just one long sentence. Punctuation helps me understand, at least.

That P0430 code is point to one bank and not all 4 sensors. If there were 4 codes and he cleared them, the P0430 would have cleared too but that one code could have come back when you drove to AZ. IMO, if you need any sensors at all, I would do all 4 at the same time with quality AC Delco or Genuine GM sensors or Delphi. Others will have a different take on this.

OP
OP
T

Timee

Reaction score
Your mechanic's speak in fluff, no specifics. Might be because you are not yet learned about cars.

Go on Amazon and get an OBDII adapter that will work with your phone and download Torque Pro or something similar.

Now YOU can pull up the codes yourself and not rely on someone else.

The only time a cat converter code is a false positive is with a massive exhaust leak in front of it. A cat code does not mean it's time for new sensors. Having said that, at 189K miles, yours are 89K miles overdue for replacement. $180 or so delivered for all 4 plus labor or tools if you DIY.

Cheap Chinese Communist catalytic converters do not last. I replaced mine with a Magnaflow Y-Pipe and Cats almost six years ago and still going strong.
Say I go and get all new sensors and the code is still there would hollowing out the cats or removing them completely get rid of the cel light? Just wondering because i’ve seen the price of new cats and trying to not spend a lot, as I have a new vehicle. I live in a no emmisons testing state also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beat Ta hoes