non bose w/ onstar head unit upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1974chevyglasshouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put in an older alpine head unit what wiring harness do I need I dont care about onstar or swc ?? There's a kit on eBay that has the trim bezel and a wiring adapter and antenna adapter will that work?? It says not compatible with Bose or onstar.
Also wats a good spot for some subs
TIA

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem is you also lose things like door chimes and stuff (R.A.P.). In 2003 the electronics of the vehicle started going through the radio.

OP
OP

1974chevyglasshouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the radio still function? I seen some other harness for $40 AXXES LC GMRC LAN01 that retain chimes but not onstar or upgradable for swc . Theres also another one for $40 that retains onstar and swc compatible but it says for bose but these come with speaker for chimes.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

What's the most basic harness I can get that will allow aftermarket headunit function?

gibbygsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheapest way is to use a Metra 70-2105 harness. You will lose the door chime, RAP shutdown and will have to run a wire to the key switch for switched hot.
The more expensive ones save those features and are plug and play. You will need the kit and antenna adapter as well.

OP
OP

1974chevyglasshouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do u run the hot to??

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I don't like that the chimes come thru a separate speaker

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do u run the hot to??

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I don't like that the chimes come thru a separate speaker
The LAN linked above is indeed another speaker, sounds cheesy as well, but it works. If you scrap the stock amps though that will be the choice.

The worst is actually the turn signal sound...but it is what it is. No way to do anything else on mine since it is a computer and no headunit.

OP
OP

1974chevyglasshouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the more expensiive ones chime thru the speakers?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

I wouldn't kno where to connect the hot tho any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Im goin to add subs the cheap harness won't do that right which harness do i look for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar