Help with finding Android Head Unit for 2012 Tahoe w/ Factory Nav

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorbiman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel like I've been down this rabbit hole for ages now. I pulled the trigger on a factory looking Android based head unit that is plug and play with non-OEM Nav head units, but obviously isn't compatible with the 44 pin connector that the OEM harness uses. Are they any options, or am I limited to the standard Kenwood/Alpline/etc head units from Crutchfield? I still have the Android head unit sitting on my desk, and I'm waiting for a PAC RP5 GM32 conversion kit to come in, hoping that it will help me plug everything up. But as it is, I'm not confident that it'll work.

I appreciate the help

Edit: This is the head unit I bought on Amazon. It came with a big CANBUS adapter harness that seems to work perfect for non-factory nav harnesses.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in. I purchased Kenwood head units, and it is very easy to find conversion wiring harnesses for them.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like its for a K2 (15+) not a GMT 900 (07-14). No reviews either...

All you need is a double din unit with an adapter for your year (PAC), and another one for the steering wheel controls if you want them. There is a 99.9% chance you will then want a BU camera, speakers, speaker mounts, 4.1 amp with install kit, and a sub in an enclosure. If you use Crutchfild, they will send a lot of free adapters and a full install sheet, although you tube has it covered. I will suggest you get android auto/carplay unit and not a built in NAV as they work through your phone and are less glitchy...

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Alpine iLX-650 a few years ago, but I'm not coming from a factory nav head unit. Double-din though.

Regardless of what head unit you choose, I hands-DOWN recommend grabbing the Motorola wireless dongle for AndroidAuto, I installed one directly in the USB port on the back of my Alpine. All of my years of frustration with my 'wired' AA cutting in and out ALL the time, I have had ZERO issues with the Moto BT dongle for AA. And now that they are readily available, they are $75ish instead of $200+ when the chip shortage crap happened.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the Eonon unit and see if it's available. Cheap Chinese unit, but I've been rocking one for over 2 year now. IT was like $299 for everything needed to install with a back up camera.

ECaseyP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My problem is trying to decide on which unit I want to spend my money on. Part or me wants to try a cheaper unit, but the other part is wanting to go with a more popular brand that has proven itself over the years. I don't want to waste the moeny on a cheaper one. Now I just have to decide between Pioneer or Kenwood and which model. I just want one that can mirror my phone. If it will mirror my phone I can just use my phone for GPS when needed.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem is trying to decide on which unit I want to spend my money on. Part or me wants to try a cheaper unit, but the other part is wanting to go with a more popular brand that has proven itself over the years. I don't want to waste the moeny on a cheaper one. Now I just have to decide between Pioneer or Kenwood and which model. I just want one that can mirror my phone. If it will mirror my phone I can just use my phone for GPS when needed.
I went with JVC KW-M560BT with CarPlay control - it will show my phone which I use for Navi. Have even updated the home screen to something custom for a personal touch.Splash.JPG

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had gone with one of the raptor audio tablets in my 2013 that had the factory nav & bose & couldnt get it to work well with either the pac harness or the idatalink maestro. Switched over to the JVC kwz1000 with the maestro & its worked great

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I've been down this rabbit hole for ages now. I pulled the trigger on a factory looking Android based head unit that is plug and play with non-OEM Nav head units, but obviously isn't compatible with the 44 pin connector that the OEM harness uses. Are they any options, or am I limited to the standard Kenwood/Alpline/etc head units from Crutchfield? I still have the Android head unit sitting on my desk, and I'm waiting for a PAC RP5 GM32 conversion kit to come in, hoping that it will help me plug everything up. But as it is, I'm not confident that it'll work.

I appreciate the help

Edit: This is the head unit I bought on Amazon. It came with a big CANBUS adapter harness that seems to work perfect for non-factory nav harnesses.

That one has no reviews and doesn't seem to have any harnesses detailed in the listing. My bet is that it's not compatible with trucks that have factory nav. I installed an Xtrons in my '07 a few years ago and love it. It's a Denali so it had factory nav but the original head unit died. The Xtrons was 95% plug and play but I did have to do some sleuthing to get a couple of things to work. It was very similar in terms of fit, wiring and reviews to this one: https://a.co/d/0tQjzI2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for future referrence if you reach out to ADS they can custom program your maestro to address any issue's or needs, just takes them a few days to get it over to there programmers then they issue you a custom file to download to the maestro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz