Noisy ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schwartzint1

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2011 SSV for a few years now. I absolutely love it. It’s always seemed a little bit of a loud ride, but I think I got used to it. I recently went on a couple of longer trips in my wife’s car and a friends newer vehicle. Wow what a difference. I know the Tahoe is big and boxy, but it seems to be a ton of wind noise. Is it the spotlights? It seems way worse driving on the freeway.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't SSVs lack most of the sound deadening material that is standard in Tahoes made for the 'civilian' market? If this is so, then your vehicle will certainly seem noisy relative to typical passenger cars.

OP
OP
S

Schwartzint1

Reaction score
Don't SSVs lack most of the sound deadening material that is standard in Tahoes made for the 'civilian' market? If this is so, then your vehicle will certainly seem noisy relative to typical passenger cars.

Where would the sound deadening materials be? Something I could add aftermarket to quite it down a bit?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound deadening is usually under the carpeting. Its available aftermarket.
My wife's PP Charger has no sound deadening in the center section of her car, where the center console would be and its super loud. Trying to find a standard center console for her as well.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Ditto on the spotlight(s). I pulled mine out and covered the hole. I also have a 2011 SSV. I would say that my road noise is about average. It's way quieter than my 02 Rav4. Tires also can generate a tremendous amount of road noise. Mine originally came with GoodYear HT's. They weren't exactly quiet. I replaced them with Michelin Defenders and that solved the road noise problem.
I have also had problems with the weather seal on the rear doors popping off. I believe they were replaced for some reasone before I got the truck but they were never glued on. I was able to hear the wind thru the rear doors when my kids kiecked them loose. NAPA yellow trim adhesive fixed that.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise is subjective, and the source can be hard to locate. Older tires can cause a fair amount of road noise, as can the lack of carpet. Add some factory carpet, and that can help a lot. As others have said, too, the door seals just clip on, and are easily-pulled off and lost. My wife had hers detailed while she was on a trip. When she got back to it, one of the door-to-door seals that clips onto the front of the back door was laying in the back seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts