noisy blower?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noisy blower? - FIXED!

My HVAC blower/fan suddenly got real noisy today on my '02. Kind of a low groaning noise that goes up and down with fan speed. Quite loud on high, not noticable on low with the stereo on.

Is this a symptom of my blower getting ready to die? Could something inside the ductwork have gotten loose and is contacting the fan? I'm going to check my service manual to see what removal and replacment will entail but I have a 2,000 mile roadtrip next week and don't want to lose my A/C halfway through...

thanks for any help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, service manual says I can remove the blower without too much fuss so I'm going to pull it and check it out.

Another annoyance I have with the truck is the recirculation mode does not work on A/C. The button lights up but I can't hear it actuate in the dash. It must be stuck on fresh air as when I drive through something like smoke, I can smell it in the cabin. This could be the cause of my blower noise too if the door is stuck halfway and the blower air is moving it around.

I saw in the manual that there is an actuator for the air inlet valve way back in the a/c-heater module and found it for $30 online (AC Delco part). The work required to get at it looks pretty extensive in the shop manual though. A lot of the dash has to come apart to get to it.

Anybody do this fix? It is a big PITA? I dread having to take it all apart. Every time I take something in the interior apart it seems I have a new squeak or rattle after I put it back together. Freaking GM plastic junk....

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No replies so I guess nobody has done this???

I pulled the blower out last night- there was a piece of foam gasket in the plastic impeller. Pulled it out and no more noise. I just have to get it back together now. The two plastic covers will be a bear to get back on (finding the holes for the screws and getting them started) but at least it didn't it cost me any money to fix.

I can hear my recirc door opening and closing so I am not going to take apart the entire dash to service it. Maybe that piece of gasket I found was from the door - if its leaking that explains why I can't keep outside air completely out.

Feel stupid replying to own posts but figured it might help somebody else later....

Singletahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts man. My heater/ac motor is squeaking too so before I buy a new one I'll just check for obstructions first. Hopefully its the same deal as yours.

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts man. My heater/ac motor is squeaking too so before I buy a new one I'll just check for obstructions first. Hopefully its the same deal as yours.

Mine wasn't squeaking, it had a rapping noise like a diesel or helicopter caused be a piece of foam stuck in the blower impeller. You might have a bearing going in yours but the blower motors aren't too expensive IIRC. Good luck- its a bear getting that blower motor out. No damn room to work.....

jutte73

Reaction score
mine has the squacking noise it comes and goes though, also mine stopped working all together on speeds 1 and 2, thinking i need to replace the blower motor resistor..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076