2021 Yukon Denali - 4wd-hi - bit noisy/awkward at 1mph, sharp steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a used 2021 Yukon Denali last summer. Went winter camping this week and had my 1st experience with 4wd-hi in the snow. Did a little driving around on unplowed roads with 3-5" of snow, just a little slippery/bumpy from previous snows.

When turning around, at <2mph, turn sharply, backup, turn sharply some more kind of thing the 4wd-hi made some vibration noises and wheels lurched a bit / didn't seem to grab solidly. The wheel lurching (not gripping solidly) also happened when backing the trailer into the snow covered camp site - e.g. tight turn, <1mph, lumpy snow.

4wd performed great at 5mph+ and not turning sharply... but was surprised at the awkwardness of sharp turn, low speed. My awd 2004 Cadillac has nary a sound or vibration or awkward wheel grab when turning or backing a trailer in snow - so this was unexpected for me.

Don't want to overblow this - just surprised and wondering if this is this normal for 2021 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L drivetrain?

Last edited:

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely not enough snow for 4wd to have been really needed. Your symptoms are typical of 4wd when used on dry pavement. My wife learned the hard way this past spring when she accidentally out her canyon in 4wd on a dry day. Bad vibration and tires swacking a bunch when turning and difficult getting vehicle to move. Your 4wd is fine, you just didnt need it when driving very slow in the snow.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
NEVER make sharp turns in 4wd, what your doing is binding the drive train this is what you're experiencing. What is happening is the rear is trying to push the front when making a sharp turn due to differences in wheel rotation let's say a sharp left turn the inside front driverside wheel is turning less then the rear therefore the rear wheels is trying to push the front and binding the system same as making a right turn. I know a guy that snapped a front CV axle doing this on dry pavement.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe better to use 4wd-lo for tighter turns? for example, backing a trailer into tight winter camping spot with snow?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as there is snow to drive on, that will provide the 'lubrication ' needed to let tires move how they need to. It's very possible you were feeling the tires slipping while turned sharply and looking for traction and/or relieving some binding. I've experienced similar over the years where some tires break traction and others don't. If you aren't hearing grinding or popping noises, you're probably fine.

If it's a hard packed snow, 2wd will most likely be adequate for maneuvering. Absolutely don't use 4 HI or 4 LO on hard pavement/surfaces. It will work, but it can put unnecessary stress on all the components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019