No volume on 1999 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon Lozano

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got my parents old 99 Tahoe running and the radio and display worked but there was no sound. I turn the knob but nothing happens, it doesn't show anything on the display. I went out this past weekend and bought a used radio and the same happened. Both are the OEM radios for a 1999 LS Tahoe, any suggestions or answers?

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the speaker wires at the radio. Get a 9 volt battery and connect one end to negative then touch, or drag, the other wire across the positive post. Do you hear a scratching noise, or any noise, coming from the speaker? If you do then the speaker is working. If not, then it's dead and needs to be replaced. If the vehicle has set for a very long time, especially out in the elements, the speakers rot & melt or sometimes ants get to them. Ants seem to love electrical devices. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Brandon Lozano

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Disconnect the speaker wires at the radio. Get a 9 volt battery and connect one end to negative then touch, or drag, the other wire across the positive post. Do you hear a scratching noise, or any noise, coming from the speaker? If you do then the speaker is working. If not, then it's dead and needs to be replaced. If the vehicle has set for a very long time, especially out in the elements, the speakers rot & melt or sometimes ants get to them. Ants seem to love electrical devices. Good luck!
She did sit out in the elements for 2 ish years. I'll try out your tip tomorrow, tha k you!

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there's still no noise then leave the battery connected to both posts and get an volt meter. Go to the speaker and disconnect the wire and hook up the meter to the wires. If you get 9volts then the wire is good. Repeat the steps for all the speakers in your vehicle. You can also test the speaker directly by hooking up the battery directly to the speaker and testing it for the scratching sound. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu