No oil pressure at start up, 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bofiggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Local shops are willing to change out the oring however they also require dropping the front drive..yeah yeah.. the kicker is they all will only warrantee job if they change oil pump,WP,etc.. or they wont do it. As well, everyone is booked up for 3+ weeks.

So its down to wrenching for me... Last year this time I changed my timing belt on a lexus- LS400. that was fun. this job seems much easier other than dropping the diffand being under it. all good

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Local shops are willing to change out the oring however they also require dropping the front drive..yeah yeah.. the kicker is they all will only warrantee job if they change oil pump,WP,etc.. or they wont do it. As well, everyone is booked up for 3+ weeks.

So its down to wrenching for me... Last year this time I changed my timing belt on a lexus- LS400. that was fun. this job seems much easier other than dropping the diffand being under it. all good
It's all in the prep beforehand. Nice flat area to work on, proper support by correct size jack stands, great assortment of tools on hand, watch multiple you tube videos for the same job. One thing my girl did for me is she got me 3 4x8 3/8" roll out pads, like a yoga mat, that I put on the ground and lay on. Have plenty of drain pans and an appropriate assortment of capped carriers to put the fluids in for easy disposal. Make sure you have all needed components for replacement and be methodical about each step. Have plenty of shop towels. Have a friend there if can that is a second hand and can also hand you tools as needed. Don't let a roadblock piss you off. It will happen and just take a deep breath and move on. Just remember the money you are saving and plan on doing something with that saved money.

Remember, "cleanliness is next to Godliness". Clean as you go and be sure all surfaces are clean as you reassemble.

Douglas Friedberg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info you make me feel good at 250,000 and rolling. By the way a great check for that oil pump seal is overfill the crankcase oil by 1-2 qts won’t hurt a thing and if that problem goes away you know what you have to do and you’ll be nicer to motor that way

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great info you make me feel good at 250,000 and rolling. By the way a great check for that oil pump seal is overfill the crankcase oil by 1-2 qts won’t hurt a thing and if that problem goes away you know what you have to do and you’ll be nicer to motor that way
The overfill of the oil should not be left that way. The method of overfill and point downhill and see if problem stops, is a method for diagnosis but the overfill should not be left that way.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Changing the o-ring is no problem at all. You have to loosen and remove the carrier that is screwed across the bottom of the axle with four screws. Then you have to loosen the differential, which is screwed in three places, and move it down a little. Then you unscrew two oil lines that go to the oil cooler and then the oil pan. Then the oil pipe, change the O-ring and everything back.

I did this on the lift and it took maybe 1.5 hours.

It's definitely not very comfortable lying under the car, but it works as well.

Attachments

• 20230620_145201.JPG
    20230620_145201.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230620_145203.JPG
    20230620_145203.JPG
    394.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230620_145500.JPG
    20230620_145500.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230620_145625.JPG
    20230620_145625.JPG