No Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having some interesting issues with my 08 HyHoe. I replaced the OEM radio head with an aftermarket. Now the truck won’t start. The security icon is on.

It won’t turn over at all (hybrid owners know these don’t “crank” in the traditional sense).

Battery shows 12v. Won’t accept a jump start either.

Ideas? BCM???

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most likely you tripped a code for theft. or atleast if I had to guess. that or the accident one will keep it from starting.

most likely need a high end scanner to reset the code, something like a tech 2 or something else that level. you could try plugging the factory radio back in but I don't know if that will work.

there's a no start thread with some basic no start trouble shooting from a shop manual, but I think its written with a high level scanner in mind.

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Saw the other thread. Tried everything I could, including putting the original radio back in. No dice. May have to call a mobile tech to it. :(

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. sorry man. without a scanner to see what's going on I don't even have any good guesses for you.

did you disconnect the hybrid battery at all? the orange plug gives people trouble sometimes. or if you have the covers off the under hood hybrid stuff. but just removing the radio, I don't know.

do both 12v cig ports have power? one of the fuses also sends power to the obd2 port. don't know if that would keep it from trying to crank thou. if you have remote start, you can try that too. it's just a shot in the dark thou.

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - so a really weird development in this situation. We discovered that the 2A BCU fuse blew. We replaced it, and the truck started up just fine... BUT THEN - after idling for nearly 30 seconds, the engine on its own revved up to redline. When we cut off the power, it made some crazy mechanical clunking and threw a ton of codes. We reset them all, and started it again. This time it didn't wait 30 seconds. Almost 5 seconds after starting, it redlined again and when shut off made some absolutely horrid sounds even after the engine shut off completely.

Mechanic will be back this afternoon (I hope). Too many codes to relay here, but if I can catch a video, I'll share it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow.. haven't heard of that before. that's crazy sounding. hope you figure out why.

any idea what the 2amp fuse went to?

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2A fuse went to the Body Control Unit. No idea how it blew unless I did it somehow tinkering with my aftermarket radio.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these hybrids scare everyone away lol. probably good idea to pick up a clone tech 2 at some point so you can poke around in it. helps a bunch when something goes wrong.

might look under the hood and make sure a big vac line isn't off somewhere. that would make it rev up.. could also pull the air intake and look at the throttle body with the key on and see if it's open or closed. I think you'd need a scanner for much byond that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660