No codes, power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfoj

Reaction score
As long as you can figure out how to "share" a file or folder in DropBox then you are good to go once she is able to gather data. You typically just Share or attempt to email a file or folder and DropBox will generate a URL, just copy the URL and post is back here in the forum so I can download the .CSV file. If you are tying to do all of this from your phone, not sure how easy it would be to get and copy the URL and paste the URL here?? Might be easier on a computer, but tell me how you end up doing it. I have never attempted to do this from directly from a phone to a forum but I am always open to having someone try the new tricks! I have my 2005 6.0l Yukon Denali that I can compare some values against, the only thing that may be slightly different is the MAF reading if your vehicle has the 5.3l.

I know you can get an idle Log without a problem, assume she would at least drive the car around the neighborhood?

If the car is driven and the problem happens, have her note approximately how long into the ride the problem happens so the event could possibly be matched up to something in the Log. Unfortunately at this time there is not a way for the user to input a marker in the Log while driving to note an event.

Also keep in mind if you have an Android and it is tied to the same Google Play account, you can download the App on your phone for no extra charge. It might give you some ability to go screen by screen to help out where the App will work without being connected to a OBDII port. If there is a need for OBDII support where you are currently stationed, have another interface tossed into the APO/FPO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackhawk17

blackhawk17

Reaction score
Tracking all. Unfortunately, it appears as though the Veepeak has already crapped out.

I haven't received a log file in the last two days. I thought it was because I had her change the settings and then the file may have been too large or something. But after reviewing the last log file that I received, I graphed the speed (for the hell of it) and noticed that the log file cuts off while she's still driving at about 35mph. So, it stopped transmitting data or something. And I haven't got anything since.

I had her check out the device and the red light still shows, and while driving her app shows everything like it's working. She's setup to sync the log files with Dropbox, so I don't know what's going on. But the fact that it stopped recording while she was driving leafs me to believe that something is wrong.

But her phone still charts everything just like it did, so that leads me took believe that she changed something, while I'm sure she didn't while driving.

Are these prone to failure? I'll just replace it, but I might try a different manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jfoj

Reaction score
Honestly, this would be the first VeePeak failure I have heard of. I have continued to recommended these because they are cheap and have been reliable, I would say easily I have suggest that hundreds of people purchase the VeePeak interfaces and this is the first time I have had anyone say they are having problems. It might have a problem or might have failed. I hate to speculate, but a few things to consider.

1. Has the phone been restarted? I know some of the older Androids like mine are short on RAM and I have all sorts of problems with the number of Apps on my phone and I need to make sure I close all the Apps in the background, but often I just need to restart the phone.

2. Did you buy/do you know if the interface you purchased has the switch on it? Make sure the interface is actually turned on.

3. Have you had her pull the interface out, so effectively it has been fully powered down? Sometimes these interfaces do not like the Voltage drop when the engine is started if the battery is slightly low on charge. I know at least my Denali has the alternator that is turned on and off by the ECU and I often put a maintenance charge on my truck. Also the vehicle has OnStar and sits for more than a day at a time, many of the OnStar units have been known to go stupid or have problems and but a constant drain on the battery.

4. Is there some sort of Bluetooth device like a hands free headset, A2DP device or something else paired that may be interfering or taking priority over the App or VeePeak interface?

5. Do you know if the phone may have the GPS on or is Waze or Maps being used? I find that the more things the phones are doing, the less reliable the Logging may be.

6. Check to make sure the phone, if supported, has a Power Saving mode and is it enabled. I find that if my tablet is in Power Saving mode, I cannot properly use Team Viewer to remotely access the tablet and actually navigate screens, I can usually connect, but then things get stupid if Power Saving is enabled.

7. Do you know if the phone is being used at the same time as the App is Logging? I know how chatty the ladies get when they drive around, seems they always want to be talking to someone!

The interfaces are cheap enough and if you have more than one car, it is not a bad idea to leave an interface for each car anyway. I know this is frustrating because it delays things if you need to order another interface. I would still buy another VeePeak unless you want to get a higher quality interface.

If you want a quality interface the OBDLink interface is one of the fastest and more reliable interfaces available. It is actually firmware upgradable but you are looking at like $70. I do not often recommend these at first due to the cost and I do not want people to shy away from from using an OBDII App. I have one and use it, but I also have a few VeePeak interfaces as well. I think you may be seeing this is actually a very powerful tool. People discount OBDII all the time, but I have been working with it since it inception. It has just recently become even more powerful to the the lower cost App and the interfaces that allow so much more than tools of even 5 years ago can do. Even the 5 figure Professional scan tools, and yes I have many, do not support data Logging like these low cost Apps.

I would try the basics first, I know this whole project is being worked 3rd hand if you know what I mean. I hope your wife it patient, I know most are not, but she is pretty resilient if you are not local and we have made it this far. Trust me it will be worthwhile when all is said and done, I cannot guarantee you we will find and pinpoint and exact problem, but we will at least be able to hopefully figure out what looks normal and this may be a process of elimination at the end of the day.

Any intermittent problem sucks to deal with, but I take the approach to let the data tell the story, if there is one. Go in with an open mind and start to eliminate things by looking at the data and making some assumptions. You cannot usually find the problem until you determine what is actually functioning properly, once you know what is functioning properly you can then start to narrow in on what may not be functioning properly.

OP
OP
blackhawk17

blackhawk17

Reaction score
I just talked to the wife on the phone. She has logging enabled, and all of the settings suggested by yourself.

She sees the info on her graph and dashboard page, but she doesn't have any recent log files. The last couple of days of her driving have not been recorded. So it's not a problem with me receiving the files, they're not being saved on her end. But it appears as though all of the settings are correct.

Her phone is relatively new I think, it's a Galaxy S6. I've asked about having apps open or maybe talking on the phone.

jfoj

Reaction score
Not sure if the Log files are always automatically uploaded to DropBox.

Have her go the "Logs" tab, then click/touch the "Files" tab. There should be a list of every Log that was created and it will be listed by Date and time, then below in blue the Log time and distance will be listed. Distance will only have a value if the proper PID's for distance are supported, some cars do not support all PID's so the distance may show as 0 miles.

If the tool is connected, it should be creating Logs if everything is set up properly.

If there are Logs that were not uploaded to DropBox, touch the Log, a box will pop up, touch "Share" then have her resend it to DropBox and/or email it to you.

OP
OP
blackhawk17

blackhawk17

Reaction score
Yeah, kind of at a standstill. I had her confirm settings were correct and asked her to not use her phone to see if it would help. I received a log file that had all of the desired info but only one line of readings.

So I don't know. There's not really anything else I can do from here and it's a lot of trouble trying to mess with it from here. I think I've lost interest.

She'll keep driving, maybe she'll remember to use the program and maybe I'll get some files, and I'll go from there.

In spite of the drivability issues, it still drives, and it hasn't died on her. So as long as she's content she's not going to want to keep messing with it either.

If I have any more updates I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

jfoj

Reaction score
Unless the "management" puts in the effort, hard to get anything resolved.

I am sure this will rear its ugly head again at some point.

Good luck.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt, thank you for your service overseas. I hope you stay safe and return to your family soon!

OP
OP
blackhawk17

blackhawk17

Reaction score
Ok, I finally have an update! I emailed OCTech Service (OBDFusion people) finally and just asked a couple of questions, to which they responded literally within a few minutes.

Simple settings issues. I had the GPS turned off, and that was the main issue.

So that being said I have my first REAL log file. I'm trying to sort my way through it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack