No codes, power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfoj

Reaction score
Blackhawk.

Can you get me 2 Logs, I will be able to get an idea if the catalytic converters are a problem by looking at the Post Cat O2 sensor behavior. I may not be able to tell you they are clogged, but I can tell you I think they are not clogged.

This could save you money and your wife quite a bit of time. I am not buying that the converters are clogged and giving intermittent loss of power, it could but I would expect many other symptoms.

I need a 4 minute warm idle and a steady highway cruise (45-60 MPH range) Log.

Converter problems really do not come and go, if the monolith is clogged, then they tend to stay clogged.

Read the updated PDF attachment.

Attachments

• OBD 2 Instructions from jfoj Final 1.pdf
    102 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My clogged cats were an aggravating problem that took quite awhile to fully present themselves. I had several codes over a couple months that pointed to MAF, TPS, multiple cylinder misfires, etc. I would replace a part or clean something, then clear the codes and as long as it wasn't driven hard it would be fine until I hammered the throttle again or was going over mountain passes. Towards the end, if I shut it off and it cooled down it would be fine for short trips but once it got hot it would start doing it again; that's when I suspected the cats. A shop checked them for me and one was 60% clogged, the other 40%.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knock sensors and intake manifold gaskets ought to be a maintenance item after a lot of miles. The sensors are in a bad place, especially if the vehicle is in a cold weather state. Slush and salt getting into any electrical connection is a problem. Intakes on these engines are known problem areas. (Not the problem in this case, but you would replace the intake gaskets when doing the knock sensors).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978