NNBS Engine Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

914jpw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon SLT with a 5.3l LMG Flex Fuel engine that took a crap.
What options do I have for a simple replacement?
Does anyone know where I can pick one up with decent miles on it within a 4-5 hour drive of the Chicagoland area for a reasonable price?

OP
OP

914jpw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bought an engine through car-part.com before and did not have good luck with the company that I dealt with. They were in Texas and I am here in Illinois.
I was hoping to find something more local where I could check it out and pick it up myself. I have called many local places and everywhere I call either has nothing or it is high miles. What other engines would work? Would a 5.3l from a Hummer H3 or Colorado work? Would a 6.0l work and what kind of mileage would it get? Would a 4.8l work and would there be a significant notice in power loss?
I am not looking to spend a ton of money.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your bad luck with it wasn't because of car-part itself. It's just a site that searches salvage yards that upload their inventory to it. It's a convenient tool and you can search by distance if finding something more local is preferred. I've never tried uneedapart.com. I know I'd feel more comfortable putting my eyes and hands on something as important and expensive as a motor. But, after researching many yards, I've bought a few motors from a reputable yard in Virginia (M & M Auto Parts) and have gotten solid and honest deals from them.

As far as what motor, of course the easiest would be something just like what you're replacing- a Gen4 5.3 or 4.8. Personally, I'd avoid a 4.8 because I can feel the loss in torque. You can make it feel peppier by putting a taller gear in the rear end to compensate. A 6.0 would yield more power, but would also be a little thirstier. A good tune can make it as efficient as the 5.3 when cruising, though. I don't know what all the LMG came in, but a quick search of whatever motor you find can answer that. I'd guess that any 5.3 or 6.0 from '07 to '09 at least would be as close to a direct swap as possible. I think only the 2010+ motors had VVT in addition to AFM, and those are incompatible without swapping some parts.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your budget?
This sounds like the perfect time to upgrade :)
TMS has a drop in 5.3 or plenty of options for short blocks.

OP
OP

914jpw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a place in Chicago that sells rebuilt ones with a one year warranty for $3000. I ordered an aluminum block engine out of a Hummer H3 with 63,000 miles on it for $1200

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn