New user and new to Tahoe Ownership / Very reactive steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SIGNMAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2002 Tahoe and was talked into putting a newer style 18" stock chevy wheel and tire on it. It now seems very reactive wheel I turn the wheel. It may have been this way before I added this set, but I don't believe it was. It came with the original 16s and I only drove it a short time before adding the 18s. Does this seem right in any way? When I say reactive it is like if you make a minor position change left or right, it just seems very responsive or overly so. My concern is that I bought this to clean up and have my son drive and being that he is a new driver, I worry that it is just too reactive. I guess I wanted to know if anyone experienced anything like this and if you all thought the size change could have caused it? I greatly appreciate your input and feedback!! Thank you in advance!!! Other than the tire and wheel upsize, the rest of the suspension seems tight and in good shape.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from the high plains of Colorado!

I didn't have any such change when I went from 16" to 18" Silverado wheels. But I was careful to buy 18" tires that would be the same height as the ones on the 16" wheels. How much of a change did yours make for the overall height of the tire?

OP
OP
S

SIGNMAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!! Colorado... I am originally from Cheyenne... miss the mountains for sure!!

I went from the stock 265 / 70 / 16 and now it has 275 / 65 / 18s on it. Do you think that could be the cause?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
More tread print on the road and a shorter sidewall, makes sense to have a different feel. Taller the sidewall, the more flex side to side with steering changes. Also, what tire pressure are you running and what is the tire inflation recommendation? Load range of both tires? Offset of wheels? Wheel width the same or not?

Welcome to the forum.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!! Colorado... I am originally from Cheyenne... miss the mountains for sure!!

I went from the stock 265 / 70 / 16 and now it has 275 / 65 / 18s on it. Do you think that could be the cause?

Calculating those numbers, the new tire is only .4" taller overall with only a .3" shorter sidewall. I'm betting the newer wheels have a different offset. I'm also betting the alignment is set to have not enough positive caster. The closer you get to neutral, or worse, negative caster- the more twitchy the steering will be. The steering wheel will also lack self-centering. It was probably okay with the previous wheel and tire setup but can't be hidden with wheels that have more scrub radius, tires with a wider contact patch and possibly firmer sidewalls.

I'd have the alignment checked by a shop that doesn't just "toe and go". You can get the steering wheel straight and make the car track straight and tires wear fine. But that doesn't mean it's "right".

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
S

SIGNMAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from the high plains of Colorado!

I didn't have any such change when I went from 16" to 18" Silverado wheels. But I was careful to buy 18" tires that would be the same height as the ones on the 16" wheels. How much of a change did yours make for the overall height of the tire?

less side wall will take the slop out of the handling. might need some time to get used to it.
Thank you for the reply. I have been researching and found that a 265 60 18 is almost identical to the 265 70 16. I am also going to confirm with a friend who is a service writer at our local Chevy dealer. I will let everyone know my findings, but this makes sense. Thanks again!

OP
OP
S

SIGNMAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Calculating those numbers, the new tire is only .4" taller overall with only a .3" shorter sidewall. I'm betting the newer wheels have a different offset. I'm also betting the alignment is set to have not enough positive caster. The closer you get to neutral, or worse, negative caster- the more twitchy the steering will be. The steering wheel will also lack self-centering. It was probably okay with the previous wheel and tire setup but can't be hidden with wheels that have more scrub radius, tires with a wider contact patch and possibly firmer sidewalls.

I'd have the alignment checked by a shop that doesn't just "toe and go". You can get the steering wheel straight and make the car track straight and tires wear fine. But that doesn't mean it's "right".
Thank you as well! Much appreciated for sure and I will also touch base after checking out all of the factors you pointed out and let everyone know what I find. I will also look into the offsets and alignments with a buddy of mine who does a thorough job! I will take him all of my findings and hopefully with that and the vehicle in hand, they can help me solve this issue. Love the Hoe!! Thanks again!