New to me pristine 11 Yukon XL Denali!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Hey all! If everything checks out with my mechanic on Monday, I'll be adding a nearly pristine Gray 11 Yukon XL Denali to my family! Very excited as it's an upgrade from my 04 Hoe.

The engine and underside are in mint condition. No rust anywhere ( Cali car heading to MI). Other than a few scratches and the infamous cracked dash, it's nearly perfect.

What kids do you suggest? Really not a fan of the stock head/tail lights. Also thinking of the OBD AFM delete when I tow. What else?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Nice find. Since it’s heading to MI my first “mod” would be on Fluid Film or WoolWax to keep the rust from ever getting a foothold.

AFM isn’t really a factor when towing because the load is too much for it to switch into 4 cylinder mode. It’s mostly going to operate cruising around unloaded.

I’d make my first spends on maintenance like having ALL the fluids changed, and then keep my money on the side for a few months to see what -if any- surprises pop up that need attention.

Reaction score
How many miles?

How much weight you plan on towing and how often?

Definitely change the trans fluid and filter. Might also consider upgrading the external trans cooler to a larger aftermarket one.

Also, if it doesn't have the built in break controller, install one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
How many miles?

How much weight you plan on towing and how often?

Definitely change the trans fluid and filter. Might also consider upgrading the external trans cooler to a larger aftermarket one.

Also, if it doesn't have the built in break controller, install one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
114k.

Travel trailer less than 6k loaded. A few times a month, mostly within a few hours thankfully. Checking it over with my mechanic on Monday. Have my break controller from the Hoe in case I need it!

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Nice find. Since it’s heading to MI my first “mod” would be on Fluid Film or WoolWax to keep the rust from ever getting a foothold.

AFM isn’t really a factor when towing because the load is too much for it to switch into 4 cylinder mode. It’s mostly going to operate cruising around unloaded.

I’d make my first spends on maintenance like having ALL the fluids changed, and then keep my money on the side for a few months to see what -if any- surprises pop up that need attention.

Good advice. It's seeing my mechanic on Monday. Will check locally for the FF and WoolWax.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Hey all! If everything checks out with my mechanic on Monday, I'll be adding a nearly pristine Gray 11 Yukon XL Denali to my family! Very excited as it's an upgrade from my 04 Hoe.

The engine and underside are in mint condition. No rust anywhere ( Cali car heading to MI). Other than a few scratches and the infamous cracked dash, it's nearly perfect.

What kids do you suggest? Really not a fan of the stock head/tail lights. Also thinking of the OBD AFM delete when I tow. What else?

Welcome to the forum!

Lucky you to have a rust free truck! I’ll certainly be looking into what @Bill 1960 suggested for rust prevention on my wife’s non rusted Yukon.

Sounds like you already know about the lifter/camshaft problem with these AFM engines. I’ve decided to go ahead with the Range OBD disabler hopeful I caught it in time so the cam/lifters don’t ever need to be replaced.

I have Spyder Halo smoked headlights on my ‘07 that I would buy time and time again.

I love spending other people’s money, so I’ll suggest a big brake kit.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Lucky you to have a rust free truck! I’ll certainly be looking into what @Bill 1960 suggested for rust prevention on my wife’s non rusted Yukon.

Sounds like you already know about the lifter/camshaft problem with these AFM engines. I’ve decided to go ahead with the Range OBD disabler hopeful I caught it in time so the cam/lifters don’t ever need to be replaced.

I have Spyder Halo smoked headlights on my ‘07 that I would buy time and time again.

I love spending other people’s money, so I’ll suggest a big brake kit.
Thanks for the headlight recommendation! They stock ones have never appealed to me. Tough call in smoked/black/chrome. The gray color with the chrome makes a true match really hard. Would love to delete some of the chrome on the body, actually. I'm used to tougher looking vehicles!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Welcome and congrats on a (hopefully) mechanically sound family war wagon!

I don't know what rust is, but it sounds like you've gotten a handle on that with the recommendations from those experienced with it.

There aren't as many options for aftermarket headlight assemblies for the GMCs as there are for the Chevrolets. But, I believe there are all-black housings, where the inside part is black and the headlight is a projector instead of a reflector, so it is more ideal for HIDs.

Painting or wrapping the chrome bits to match the body color and/or making them black goes really well with a gray body and would certainly make it look tough. Gray body, colormatched trim, black wheels, mild front lift to level it with the rear, black or dark gray wheels with all-terrain LT tires... The tough looks would compliment its capability and sturdiness while still looking clean and civilized.

I'm all for the AFM disabling. GM upgraded the AFM components that started with (I think) the 2011 models. Or maybe it was a mid-year 2011 thing. Either way, you won't miss it and I'd still disable it to be on the safe side. However, I'd make it permanent and avoid the other potential issues that a plug-in module may present and have it tuned out. Either get a full custom tune, which would also improve many other aspects of the rig or just have the AFM disabled. You can send your PCM here: https://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm and have it turned off and be done with it for less than half the price of the plug-in module.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the headlight recommendation! They stock ones have never appealed to me. Tough call in smoked/black/chrome. The gray color with the chrome makes a true match really hard. Would love to delete some of the chrome on the body, actually. I'm used to tougher looking vehicles!

There are black grill and lower grill kits available for about $180 on ebay. Unfortunately they don't come with a black hood edge trim piece, you'd have to paint or wrap the stock chrome one.

I didn't like the red GMC badges front and back so I swapped them to black. Front is easy, it just unclips/snaps off. Rear is stuck on, so have I used fishing line or dental floss behind it to remove it, then removed the rest of the adhesive with a 3m magic eraser wheel in my drill.

I switched to some Eagle Eyes U bar style projector headlights I found on ebay for $300. They're available in black or clear/chrome. I then found some Eagle Eyes C-bar LED taillights that match the styling pretty good with the headlights, they were $200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-07-13-GMC-Yukon-Denali-Upper-Lower-Unpainted-Grill-Grille/371230303659

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Grill-Grille-Rear-Emblem-Badge-Black-Set-For-2007-2013-GMC-Yukon-XL-1500/193237877584?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Bar-For-2007-2014-GMC-Yukon-XL-Denali-BlackHalo-Projector-Headlights/274182362969?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Smoke-C-BAR-LED-Taillights-for-2007-2013-Chevy-Tahoe-Suburban-GMC-Yukon/293687892785?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20200825_103411.jpg

20200825_103348.jpg

20200819_153507.jpg

20200819_153552.jpg

20200821_200602.jpg
20200821_200633.jpg

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
There are black grill and lower grill kits available for about $180 on ebay. Unfortunately they don't come with a black hood edge trim piece, you'd have to paint or wrap the stock chrome one.

I didn't like the red GMC badges front and back so I swapped them to black. Front is easy, it just unclips/snaps off. Rear is stuck on, so have I used fishing line or dental floss behind it to remove it, then removed the rest of the adhesive with a 3m magic eraser wheel in my drill.

I switched to some Eagle Eyes U bar style projector headlights I found on ebay for $300. They're available in black or clear/chrome. I then found some Eagle Eyes C-bar LED taillights that match the styling pretty good with the headlights, they were $200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-07-13-GMC-Yukon-Denali-Upper-Lower-Unpainted-Grill-Grille/371230303659

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Grill-Grille-Rear-Emblem-Badge-Black-Set-For-2007-2013-GMC-Yukon-XL-1500/193237877584?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Bar-For-2007-2014-GMC-Yukon-XL-Denali-BlackHalo-Projector-Headlights/274182362969?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Smoke-C-BAR-LED-Taillights-for-2007-2013-Chevy-Tahoe-Suburban-GMC-Yukon/293687892785?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20200825_103411.jpg

20200825_103348.jpg

20200819_153507.jpg

20200819_153552.jpg

View attachment 273345
View attachment 273346
Sharp. I have those bookmarked for mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu