New to me 07 Yukon random tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eckoblazer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just joined after picking up a 2007 Yukon 5.3 It's got 228k on it yikes... It has tick comes from the drivers side valve cover area only after highway driving. I can let it idle or stop and go traffic for 30 minutes and it runs beautifully. Once warmed up and on the highway for a while it will develop and tick that comes and goes until the vehicle cools down again. Oil pressure according to the dash gauge is low at idle but builds when accelerating.

I'm assuming an AFM lifter is dying, or oil pick up tube o-ring cracked. Not sure best way to proceed... Think disabling the AFM via tune at this point is a waste of time or worth a shot?

Thanks in advance

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 03 Silverado with approx. same mileage used to tick at idle, did it forever, then during a oil change about a year ago it suddenly stopped and hasn't done it since, might try a engine flush (maybe) that might help, I have seen it before on GM's I think its fairly common, never seen any detrimental effects from it other than annoyance. unless there's some other things going on it's probably not worth a tear down.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Buy some Kreen and run it as recommended and see if that does the trick. Great product and I highly recommend it.

OP
OP
eckoblazer

eckoblazer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll give the flush a shot. A local person on craigslist happened to be selling a Range Technology AFM disabler for a good price so I grabbed it today to give it a try as well.

mankinda

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Buy some Kreen and run it as recommended and see if that does the trick. Great product and I highly recommend it.
Have a 2007 yukon flex fuel 5.3 l for 6 years now..Valve blew at 102k miles...dealer replaced all lifters valves top of moter...Then at 180k started ticking then would stop.Icould be sitting in a drive thru with quiet motor running then all of a sudden ticking would start and last for about 15 minutes then quiet down...Now at 197 happening more and seems to be getting worse the past week after i tried seafoam in it and changed oil again...i have used synthetic since my first major repair...So i guess what i am asking is do you think i am about to be screwed again? or should i try something other than seafoam in oil? thanks

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Have a 2007 yukon flex fuel 5.3 l for 6 years now..Valve blew at 102k miles...dealer replaced all lifters valves top of moter...Then at 180k started ticking then would stop.Icould be sitting in a drive thru with quiet motor running then all of a sudden ticking would start and last for about 15 minutes then quiet down...Now at 197 happening more and seems to be getting worse the past week after i tried seafoam in it and changed oil again...i have used synthetic since my first major repair...So i guess what i am asking is do you think i am about to be screwed again? or should i try something other than seafoam in oil? thanks

Seafoam is a decent product but not nearly as potent/strong as Kreen. Seafoam is ok if you want a SLOW cleaning process. Kreen is much stronger and cleans faster.

I Kreened my engine and it helped tremendously with the lifters ticking. I eventually ended up replacing the oil pump and O-ring on the oil pickup tube which made a huge improvement on oil pressure and the lifter tick is gone.

I ended up replacing with the Mellings HV/HP pump... # 10355 if my memory serves me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345