New Tahoe buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

findog78

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a Tahoe. I've been scrolling this site for a week or so and the web trying to learn whats what and the Tahoe/Yukon differences so I make an educated decision. My mission is to have a hunting rig (for a big guy) to haul my trailer and get around the woods capable of some 4 Wheeling and be a daily. So far I'm leaning towards the 04-06 for the higher TQ engine. The Z71 pkg for the limited slip and lower gears. What I haven't read to be clear is if the transfer case is the same or also has lower gears than a non Z71? Is the lower axle gear ratio available on non Z71 and what model? I have been shopping for weeks and the market for a low mile one is slim pickings and be ready to drop what your doing and go look at it or its gone. Lastly, I have seen a lot of lifted ones on 35" tires. Is the gearing still there to 4 wheel and tow? Any other recommendations or advise to look for as a first time Tahoe buyer?
PS...I'm in Puyallup WA if you know of anything available!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. When you get your rig please post pics.

I have a 2002 Tahoe LT with 3.73 gears which is likely what you want for towing and light off road and a daily driver. The RPO code to look for on the sticker in the glove compartment is GT4 for that 3.73 gear and the limited slip RPO code is G80. You can even get the same skid plates and shocks and rear springs for your LT and bolt in and be almost there like a Z71. There are some different exterior and interior looks to a Z71. I just looked at a 2006 Z71 and it had 3.42 gears and when I romped on it, I could really tell the gearing difference. I really like my 3.73 gear.

I am in Eugene, Oregon and that 2006 Z71 is at a dealer here and they want a stupid price of $11,980 for it. It is in very nice shape with 140k miles and just a few small scratches and a drivers door small dent from what looks to be a parking lot ding. It ran out fine but had front brake rotor pulsation. Everything worked, including the dvd and the steering wheel controls. I offered the seller $9200 cash and he came back with $11,200. I walked away. There are some Z71's in the area but they are mostly in the 200k miles club and can look a bit beat up when look close. That is in a search area of 200 miles from my zip code. Right now the used car market is stupid high priced.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not have to buy immediately, I suggest waiting a bit for the used car market to normalize. Vehicles are currently being sold for $1-$2k more than they are worth. The estimated time for this bubble to burst is October / November, according to a local car show host (Dallas). But he has a national show I don't catch, so I believe him.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did see 06 year had 3:42 gears. I didn't know another year had 3:73s. Are the transfer cases the same in all LT and Z71? Is there a chart pinned where did you look up the 06 info and other years? Older would suffice still harder to find low miles.
I'll post when I get something. Hunting season starts in Oct so like to find something before then.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
If you do not have to buy immediately, I suggest waiting a bit for the used car market to normalize. Vehicles are currently being sold for $1-$2k more than they are worth. The estimated time for this bubble to burst is October / November, according to a local car show host (Dallas). But he has a national show I don't catch, so I believe him.
Thanks for heads up

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did see 06 year had 3:42 gears. I didn't know another year had 3:73s. Are the transfer cases the same in all LT and Z71? Is there a chart pinned where did you look up the 06 info and other years? Older would suffice still harder to find low miles.
I'll post when I get something. Hunting season starts in Oct so like to find something before then.
You are looking at the GMT800 platform, which ran from about 2000 to about 2006. I'm hazy on whether there were '99.5 or 2007s in the Escalade/Tahoe/Yukon platform or not. Here's some more data on it, though I am sure it isn't 100% complete: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT800

You can see the other vehicles covered by GMT800 there, too.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
That 2005 I looked at this weekend was a bust. For starters vehiclehistory.com said VIN was a 2004? When I got to see it up close hood and roof were oxidized, typical seat damage, a/c broke, seemed like heater was tuck on just cooking me on test drive. Gauges didn't work, ABS and battery light were on, the tranny oil didn't smell great and the more this guy talked the more I was getting the BS vibe so I walked. Pissed that I drove 3 HRS RT to see it. What a joke. Browsed ads rest of weekend. The 3rd GEN is staring to wear on me and I like the newer interior with black leather and updated instrument panel. Looking at 2009-10 now also. 6 speed trans was added and they all have more HP and better MPG.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That 2005 I looked at this weekend was a bust. For starters vehiclehistory.com said VIN was a 2004? When I got to see it up close hood and roof were oxidized, typical seat damage, a/c broke, seemed like heater was tuck on just cooking me on test drive. Gauges didn't work, ABS and battery light were on, the tranny oil didn't smell great and the more this guy talked the more I was getting the BS vibe so I walked. Pissed that I drove 3 HRS RT to see it. What a joke. Browsed ads rest of weekend. The 3rd GEN is staring to wear on me and I like the newer interior with black leather and updated instrument panel. Looking at 2009-10 now also. 6 speed trans was added and they all have more HP and better MPG.
What the ad say? "Mint, one owner"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157