New owner...Picking up a 2003 Z71 Tahoe next week.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

walther78

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm up to 48,000 miles. About to do my first oil change, even though the meter says i have 68% left. I drive 70% highway and am at 14.8mpg. Everything has been solid as expected. I'd really like to get some weathertech mats in there before deer season in a month. No big plans as I want to keep everything stock and original. May spray the underside down with some used motor oil before our winter and salt covered roads hit.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on new ride. I'm curious what your plans are for long term undercarriage protection. Even though I'm in the desert, we go to UTAh alot and salt really sucks. I've developed surface rust as well, sanded and used Rustoleum rubber coating but thinking should've used rock chip paint instead. You, however, will see more corrosion than we will here.
Price from NADA/Edmund's/KBB are really averages. Certain parts of country and the time of the purchase, and demand, dictate price. With gas prices low, full size trucks are not as cheap, used or new. Just like BB of GunValues...have NEVER seen a good antique Winchester lever action go for BB price here in the West (always more). The fact that your rig was one owner, low miles...that adds a premium in my book. BUT, 13 yrs old...consider changing all the rubber under the hood (coolant hoses) and change all fluids (PS, Brake, Coolant, differential(s) etc). Enjoy your ride. Our 02 Yuk with 165k is loved by my children...the most comfortable car they've ridden in.

BU-Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Congrats. I have a white '03 (bought new) and have 217k miles on it. She's still going strong -- although I'm beginning to look at an engine/trans replacement. I've gone back and forth on selling her and getting a new one, but I just still like the look of the Z71 vs the newer ones. Plus, it's been paid off for many years and dropping ~60 is just nuts. I'm looking at putting in ~$15 for a new engine, upgrading the lights with LED and upgrading/modernizing the radio that allows my iPhone to connect and have a backup camera. Figured by doing all of that I'd feel like I'd have a new car again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbo5